Beautiful Morning in a Delaware Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Morning in a Delaware Pond

Went to a Delaware pond this morning for look for Blue Gills. Got on the water at 9:30, beside two gents in a bass boat, I had my section of the pond to myself. Started throwing a Golden Retreiver to the shoreine. On the third cast, landed my first BG of the morning. I continued drifting down the shoreline and found a small Pickerel. Lost my fly on an overhanging branch, so I tied on a Black Wooley Bugger. I continued catching fish all morning. I ended up with 12 BG, 2 Pickerel, 1 LMB, and 1 Yellow Perch. No size on anything. The largest BG was 9”. Saw signs of spring also- turtles were gathering in pairs on the bottom, serveral pairs of geese with newborns swimming. Was a great time to be out.
    0A4CA256-48D4-4959-86D8-31CDA0CF88AC.jpg 61BCABB7-BC8B-4C8A-9FA0-9899547B5301.jpg 89904BE6-D85F-42FC-B7E1-BC280EAD50A9.jpg D13D018C-7915-4233-B606-98B8C1EA8778.jpg
    Attached Files
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Nice work John. You are putting in a lot of time on road trips. And you are catching fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Lol
      The Wooly Bugger was the fly that got me out of fly fishing!

Once I realized that virtually every fresh water fish in Maryland would hit a size 8 Black WB, I thought of all of the time I spent tying delicate, elaborate, tiny flies for trout and suddenly fly fishing lost it's allure!
      At the time I was tying flies from size 16 down to size 20 and trying to fish these while losing most of them to nearby foliage.

I think of all of the time and money I spent assembling miniscule creations, (or as one well know fly fisherman wrote-flies that have eyeballs and assholes....) and was doing that to catch fish that were smaller than some of the lures I was using to catch Rock, it kinda put things into a different perspective as it cast the whole idea in a different light.

Yeah, I know, it's an addiction........nothing like a recovered addict to help others to see the light!

BTW, any fishing puns are intended.
      And I may occasionally resort to throwing tiny lures with the fly rod to tiny fish just to remind myself how much fun it was!

Thanks for the report John, I may have to dust off the gear and see if my shoulder can last more than 15 minutes!

Comment

Thanks for the comments Stu, hope you can try some shoreline fly fishing soon. BTY-the BWB I was using was a size 10. I don’t go below 10 to tie fly-my eyes and fingers don’t cooperate anything that small.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice variety John.

I'm axious to head east for a pond outing.

And good first entry to our FSFF bluegill contest.

You've set a high bar already.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X