LIttle bit of Shad Action from the bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIttle bit of Shad Action from the bank

Got out for a little bit with the fly rod and light spinning gear. It was high tide and slack. Fish were still agreeable, but not as much as the day before. Still nice, peaceful and relaxing.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Very nice video, Chip.

Congrats on your catches.

On Thursday I also had a very good shad outing landing somewhere near 50 hickory shad (I lost count) and losing many others.

It was incredible action and believe it or not, my first time catching shad.

P1060861.jpg

They preferred the deeper darker water in the shade. I was using a 6 weight, 9 foot rod with floating line and an 8 foot tapered mono leader.

I used several flies. Each worked. (In truth, I think anything flashy would have worked as long as I got it deep in the water column.) Perhaps the most effective fly was a pink and white beadhead crystal bugger tied on a size 6 Mustad 3366 hook.

P1060871.jpg

Most of my catches were this size:

P1060855.jpg

They pulled hard and some went airborne.

What a fun outing. It had been a while since I had become physically tired hauling in fish. It was a good feeling.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I look forward to this time of the year every year....fortunately my phone likes to pop up with previous photos so I don't miss the shad run. I know when to head out.Great catches Mark.
      Last edited by clm; 04-22-2023, 01:21 PM.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

I agree Chip.

Hickory Shad are a new springtime calendar entry for me.

Next up -- bluegills and bass.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I tried for shad yesterday at a location I had never been to before. I found no fish, but at least it was fun to try fishing at a new place.

Comment

Working...
          X