Bluegill Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluegill Fun

Five FSFF kayakers had an enjoyable, if windblown, day on an Eastern Shore pond yesterday.

Our quest was bluegills. We did well, each of us boating a good number of prespawn fish.

We also tangled with small picks that just love bluegill flies but also have the annoying habit of biting through our lightweight tippets.

I had success with the same flies I used for hickory shad last week. The bluegills and small picks loved them:

P1050611.jpg

It's a simple bead head crystal bugger tied on a #6 Mustad 3366 hook. It takes about 90 seconds to tie, if that.

I also had a lot of topwater hits on foam flies. This female bluegill hit a small gurgler:

P1050598.jpg

This one, a male, hit a bass popper:

P1050597.jpg

Oddly, I caught no bass. But I got over 30 bluegills into my kayak and at least 10 hammer handle picks.

It was a good day.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Fantastic post....I couldn't get any top water bites here locally (Waldorf)...gotta find some.more aggressive waters. Thank you for sharing.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Chip,

Yesterday it was a chilly 41 degrees in the morning as I drove to the pond. The topwater bite started in mid afternoon after air temps reached 60. I think the water temperature had to rise only a degree or two to entice the fish to look up. Next month topwater will reign for bluegills.

By the way, I know you prefer fly rods with a slower action. One of the rods I used on this outing was a new 8 foot 5 weight Moonlit fiberglass rod. I've been wanting to try an S-Glass rod. The rod itself is much lighter in weight than old fiberglass rods. It's also slower than my graphite rods but I adjusted easily to its softer action. It worked well. I caught my first fish on it yesterday and used it to catch many more as I alternated among three rods throughout the day.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X