Bluegill Fun Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluegill Fun Revisited

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” – Henry David Thoreau.

The above quotation resonated strongly with me last Friday evening.

My son and I visited an Eastern Shore pond for a crack at bluegills on the fly. I wanted him to experience the same exceptional bite I encountered on my prior trip across the bridge. That session resulted in too many 8-to-9-inch bluegills to accurately count.

I had paid attention to the wind forecast as always but only minutes before we departed, I saw the word “rain” in print. It said, “light rain” between 2:00 and 6:00 p.m.

Light rain is not an issue. Ever the optimists, we thought overcast skies and a little drizzle might help the bite. We left for the pond anyway with me leading the way in my truck and my son following me in his.

The drive east belied the forecast. The sky in my windshield was clear and sunny for the entire 75 miles.

But, as soon as we paddled from the launch, the sky darkened. Hammer handle pickerels were energized by the weather. They would not leave our flies alone. This pond is loaded with small picks but mysteriously, their parents are nowhere to be found. I have never caught a big pickerel in this location.

In fact, it was at least 45 minutes before we hooked our first bluegills. And when we did, they were not anxious to meet us. We had no catches on consecutive casts. It was one fish per spot and those spots required much searching. It was not a typical spring bluegill outing.

Then there was thunder – one long, loud roll. No lightening. Just the ominous sound of bad weather ahead. The rain fell a minute after the thunder. Not the light rain forecasted but buckets of rain all at once. It was an explosion of water from the clouds. Big heavy raindrops were leaving thousands of divots on the water.

I was as far from the launch as possible on this pond when the rain started. My son was closer. We each made beelines to the ramp. My son beat me there to find shelter in his truck’s cab. We were both drenched. We debated if we should leave. But the rain started to let up as quickly as it began. Clouds parted and the sun tied to peek out. There was even a rainbow:

P1050623A.jpg

So, back to our boats we went. The bluegill bite picked up after the rain. It was not great, but compared to the limited action before the storm, it was good. I also caught a yellow perch on a bluegill fly:

Here's what we were seeking:

Another:

image000000.jpg

And here’s one of those pesky picks still biting after the rain departed:

It destroyed my fly.

We stayed on the pond until dusk. It was damp, foggy and chilly as we packed up to leave. We were both shivering as we strapped our boats into our truck beds.

Just before we got into our vehicles to leave, my son said, “This trip was definitely worth the drive.” We were facing a 90-minute drive home. I was happy to hear him say that.

Clearly, he knows the meaning of Thoreau’s words. The unpredictability of the weather cannot ruin a fishing trip. Neither can tentative fish troubled by that weather. Instead, the attempt itself to trick a wild creature to eat an offering we created from fur and feathers is the source of our satisfaction. The opportunity to spend time among the beautiful settings where these fish live adds to that joy. Finally, what truly matters is sharing an evening on the water with another person who understands that the totality of the angling experience is much more important than the final fish count. It was a very good evening.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

What a tank, and what a fantastic quote that is timeless. I hit a run off pond in our industrial area yesterday. The BG were enthusiastic, but the small LMB (8-9") actually breached on foam spiders. What a fun time with a collapsible 3wt....met a guy that was teaching himself to fish (gave me a warm fuzzy that not everyone is a screen (electronics) zombie. I let him try the fly rod, albeit not the best to learn with, and he was hooked (not literally, but he was whip cracking it at first). Hoping to get back today with the light bamboo rod....even if they aren't aren't biting...that motion and that line laying out in a beautiful roll.... therapeutic....
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
      ....even if they aren't aren't biting...that motion and that line laying out in a beautiful roll.... therapeutic....
      Absolutely!

Well said.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thank goodness for Bluegills!

Today I decided to test my limitations due to my RA and took out the fly rod to try to catch some local Sunnies.
        I figured that holding a fly rod grip would be a little easier on my hands then trying to hold a spinning rod with the reel stem between my fingers.

This is the first time I've taken out the fly rod in perhaps two years, but muscle memory, being what it is, kicked in and I soon was able to cast a bit.
        My shoulder is gonna be sore tonight, but at least my hands don't ache.
        And I lasted more then an hour on the water.
        Now to work on my balance........

I hit a local pond and found 3 different species of Sunfish active, along with some Bass, that were guarding their fry.
        The Red Eared Sunnies were very busy spawning and were not interested in either little poppers or Wooly Buggers, and the Green Sunfish were nesting up under some vegetation.

Fortunately, the Bluegills were in more open water and were cooperative.
        I caught a few on a tiny popper, chunk males in dark spawning colors.
        Fun on a 5 wt.
        So I finally got off the skunk for 2023!

Comment

Stu,

That's fantastic. I'm glad to hear your symptoms have decreased enough to allow you to fish.

I hope you have many more opportunities.

I find that casting a fly rod is much less fatiguing than casting either a spinning rod or bait caster. It's true that the rod does the work when your technique is proper. Plus, it's just fun to throw the line on target either long or short.

Yesterday afternoon, I made a solo return visit to the site that is the subject of this thread. The bluegills were still active. I caught over two dozen chunkers between 8 and 9 inches, a few 7-inchers and a lone pickerel -- a decent one this time about 20 inches. Not a hammer handle.

There was no rain yesterday but the wind was higher than forecast and coming from multiple directions. I anchored often which I rarely do in my kayak.

I started at 4:00 p.m. and stayed until dusk.

The bite was incredible during the hour just before the sun disappeared below the horizon. I don't know if the bluegills were energized by the coming darkness or the fact that the wind stopped. On top or underneath, it didn't matter. But as soon as the sun dipped out of sight, the blue gills went to bed. I got no more bites.

Continue on the mend Stu. Get out as often as you can. And if your health progresses to the point that you would like to head east for excellent pond action, I'll be glad to share the sites and the water with you.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
          X