Nephew First Tenkara Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nephew First Tenkara Trip

E020D8C4-5A2E-4C44-A48B-58D15994B490.jpg Hit some OBX ponds today with my nephew for his first Tenkara fishing trip. He caught about 4 or 5 fish and had a great time. Is this a pumpkinseed in spawning colors?

Looks more like a Green Sunfish to me.

Comment

https://www.flydreamers.com/en/photo...amers-pic65976

Comment

Yes, that is a pumpkinseed. Nice catch!
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I'm not sure about that ID.
          The mouth shape says Pumpkinseed, but the darker coloration shown says Green Sunnie.
          Pumkinseeds have a good bit more orange coloring, but we can't see that part of the body.

download-1.jpg.download.jpg
          Pumkinseed / Green Sunfish Hybrid. Green Sunfish
          Last edited by bignose; 05-30-2023, 10:26 PM.

Comment

That's why the Free State Fly Fishers accept all species of the Lepomis (true sunfish) genus in our annual "Bluegill" contest.

Pumpkinseeds and Green Sunfish are known to hybridize with other members of the genus.

The resulting offspring can be difficult to precisely identify.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

39A46505-3E4A-470F-AD2B-AEC17CEDBA6D.jpg 13558067-7D01-4712-AC55-CB625A481E91.jpg Here are a couple from the same pond I caught a few days ago.

Comment

I think that these are also Green- Pumpkinseed hybrids:

The jaw of a Green Sunfish extends under the eye. These don't, the mouth looks like those of a Pumpkinseed
                The Pumpkinseed usually has a longer pectoral fin, more of a disc shaped body and has a bit more orange coloration.

But apparently there are so many hybrid variations, that finding a "pure" specimen isn't that common.

I tend to remember that John Veil caught a Pumkinseed in Weems Creek a couple of years ago that looked like a pure specimen.

Comment

download.jpg

It looked more like this.

A real good reference is on YouTube: KN Fishing Smarts. Pumpkinseed ID guide.

And y'know, what really matters is how much fun you had catching them.
                  Last edited by bignose; 06-01-2023, 08:37 PM.

Comment

OK Guys...

Here's another sunfish to debate:

IMG_6496.jpg

I caught it yesterday afternoon along with 52 of its bluegill buddies. A very good outing.

It fell for a topwater foam spider fly. I don't know what it is. It hit hard, fought hard and actually turned my kayak. I thought it was a bass until I saw it.

I emailed a photo of it this morning with my query to the DNR and they sent it to their freshwater fisheries manager. I'm waiting for their reply.

Maybe it is an exceptionally large gravid bluegill. Or it might be a greengill hybrid (bluegill x green sunfish). Those are my guesses. Any thoughts anyone?

As Stu said, it doesn't really matter because it was fun to catch the fish.

But it's nice to put a name to a fish.

Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

That is a redear sunfish
                      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Maybe Dave.

That’s what one of my friends guessed.

But no red ear. Also, it hit topwater and Redears AKA Shellcrackers are bottom feeders that rarely eat on the surface according to my reading on them.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Without DNA testing you just can't tell.

Short jaw, long pectoral fin, disc shaped body, lack of orange coloration, very subtle stripes on the back, no red edge on the gill cover. The only thing I don't see is some turquoise edging on the jaw line that would indicate some Green sunfish genetics.

Look up Maryland Biodiversity Project. on Google:

Greengill Sunfish for a look at the huge color variations possible.

But then I looked up Redear x Bluegill Hybrid: Bingo! I'd say that this is the most likely possibility.

But dang, 11 inches long, and thick, must've fought like hell on the fly rod!
                          Last edited by bignose; 06-02-2023, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Stu,

Fight it did.

Smashed the daylights out of the spider.

I caught it on a fiberglass fly rod. It bent the rod into a u-shape.

I hope it is a greenear because presumably it was stocked and there may be more in that pond.

If it is a greenear it likely wouldn't be full of eggs. Eighty percent of greenear hybrids are males.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Hog alert! What a cool sunfish/bluegill thing. Neat fish. I bet I won't ever catch a sunfish/bluegill that large in my life. Is there a way to get a citation for that creature, without having to kill it?

Comment

Working...
                              X