For Tom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Tom

This is not a kayak report but I wanted to show Tom that I can catch fish on the fly in a small stream too.

IMG_6546.jpg

A Free State buddy and I waded the upper Patapsco off of Old Frederick Road today. We actually wanted to head east in our kayals for another pond outing. But Windfinder.com projected double digit winds in the 20s. We decided to head to the Patapsco Valley site instead. Even there the wind whipped the surface of the water at times today.

We each caught dozens of fish which surprsied me given the water was so low and clear. It was a bit overcast this morning and I think that settled the fish. I saw many of my catches strike the fly. I used an 8 ft., 4 wt. rod and black size 10 beadhead wooly bugger.

We caught mostly small redbreast sunnies like you see above. To those we added rock bass, smallies and my friend actually caught a holdover stocked trout in this photo:

IMG_6547.jpg

Also, we each caught a 12-inch smallmouth worthy of much bigger water.

The setting is very pretty and only a 35 minute drive from my house:

IMG_6543.jpg

And there's even a train. If you look closely you can see a few of the cars passing behind the trees in the photo below:

IMG_6550.jpg

An all around nice day on the water with the unexpected surprise of continuous action by small hungry, aggressive fish.

So Tom, if you want to try your Tenkara there, I will gladly show you the way.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

One of my favorite stretches of the Patapsco....if you don't mind catching lots of relatively small fish. (I don't mind one bit, I actually put together a couple of "Special" ultralite rods to fish there several years ago).

Small fish?
    That Sunnie made the size 10 Wooly Bugger look like a mouthful!

And that 12" Smallie is probably 5-6 years old.

Comment

Fishing, friendship and scenery....that is what it is about....I take the bass boat out with the wife...just to catch small perch and small catfish as often as possible....catching small, is still fishing....great post.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Chip, Stu,

Thank you.

We're very fortunate to have so many ways to catch numerous species in vastly different waters locally.

Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

4133DDFE-C877-42A4-8EAF-A8C68922F998.jpg Great report Mark. I'm pretty sure I know the area you were fishing. I hit the Patapsco over the weekend and caught a mess of sunfish/gluegills. Compared to the Patuxent, I think the Patapsco has better habitat, more fish, and more food items for the fish to eat.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DanMarino; 06-26-2023, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Tom,

Yes...I visited it again yesterday and tangled with another larger than normal smallie for the area and a bunch of very colorful redbreast sunnies. It's no secret. Lots of anglers visit it.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
            X