January Tenkara - Central Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January Tenkara - Central Maryland

Fished for about 25 minutes this afternoon. The goal was simple: try to catch a January fish in Maryland on my Tenkara rod. It was 43 degrees out with a pretty stiff wind. I got to the pond around 4PM. It had been cloudy almost all day. Pretty dreary. No signs of life at the pond. Water was up from a bunch of melted snow fall and some pretty decent rains over the weekend.

Good for you, Tom.

I have not been able to fish this month at all.

Those are almost spawning colors on that bluegill. He's an anxious fellow!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. Theoretically you could catch a fish from shore and it might only take you 15 minutes. It is funny how something as simple as catching a bluegill on my Tenkara rod in January can be so rewarding. I had a thought to catch a fish. I overcame my own negative mojo about being worried about the cold water, wind, and not great weather. I got off my rear and picked a place to fish. I contemplated which fly to use. And I gave it a go. Very fun when even catching one single bluegill checks the box and accomplishes the mission.

Comment

That bluegill looked almost relieved to be warmed up in your hand for a moment or two.

Comment

Working...
        X