Finally Got Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Got Out!

Finally after a month and half hiatus, several members of the Free State Fly Fishers visited a Delaware pond yesterday to hunt for our winter favorite-Pickerel. We launched about noon and quickly went to our favorite spots. We were hoping for fast action, but the fish didn't cooperate. For the next 2 1/2-3 hours only one fish was landed-a 10" Pickerel. I was throwing one of Joe Bruce's Red/White Seducers. With no hits on the Seducer, I switched to a yellow/white Bendback. I finally got my first hit of the day and landed a nice Black Crappie.

Photo Feb 04 2024, 3 14 54 PM.jpg

Another slow spell started. Several other members slowly started landing some fish. Around 3:30 I started working the northern shoreline with a white Crystal Bugger (Schminnow). The action finally picked up. I got my second fish - a nice LMB on the CB.
    Photo Feb 04 2024, 4 26 04 PM.jpg

Within a few more minutes I landed three Pickerel-none big, but they put up a nice fight.

Photo Feb 04 2024, 4 56 07 PM.jpg

I left around 4:00 to let the other guys enjoy the hot bite near sundown. It felt good to get back on the water again. Hope to make it out again soon.

John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

The water is still cold here in Maryland. It always amazes me that fish are active and eating in the winter. Nice going. Cool report. Great looking fish!

Comment

Sounds like fun!

Comment

Good going John. You've put more fish in the kayak than I have so far this year Seems we got a "real" winter this year, last winter spoiled us with many 60-70 degree days.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
        X