February - Tenkara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February - Tenkara

Last weekend I got my January Tenkara fish, yesterday I caught my February one.
    I went here. Used these. Caught this.
    The river is still cold. I had hip waders on and didn't get in past my knees. Most of the time I was about shin deep. This was around 4PM. I noted some minnows in the gravely rapids that were scooting about on the bottom. Not sure what species they were. Only caught this one fallfish.

Tom,

Indeed, we finally have coldwater fishing opportunities.

After not fishing at all in January, primarily due to poor weather, I visited two different Eastern Shore ponds, one in Maryland and one in Delaware on 1 and 4 February respectivley.

I fished exclusively with flies from my kayak at both locations -- Bendback Minnows, Crystal Buggers and Articulated Crystal Buggers

The Maryland pond was stingy allowing me to catch only two 17-inch picks and a 9-inch golden shiner.

The Delaware pond was more generous. I caught 11 chain pickerels and two largmouth bass. But again the picks were small with none exceeding 18-inches and couple that were a mere 10.5 inches. I must have been fishing in a pickerel nursey! I moved on.

My last fish of the the day was this 15-inch bass that hit an articulated crystal bugger:

IMG_7017.jpg

After boating the bass, and with the sun dropping behind the trees, I paddled back to the ramp.

I had joined fellow FSFF anglers in Delaware. A few of them caught crappies in addition to pickerels and bass. The water temperature was 43 degrees.

It was a good day for us.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That is a great trip report Mark. Between Halloween and April fools day, I'm happy to catch just one fish on any outing. You had a bunch of action.

Hopefully the shad season will start up early this year and I can try to land a few.

Comment

Working...
      X