March Tenkara Pond Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Tenkara Pond Fish

IMG_4908[1].jpg I hit a local storm water management pond that is shallow late yesterday afternoon. Within 5 minutes I caught these guys on the sunny side of the the pond. The purple on the bluegills is pretty neat in person. Not showing up great in these photos though. The fish were close to shore and shallow. Both fish ate the sinking fly on the initial drop after casting it. So I must have gotten lucky and randomly made casts near some fish. IMG_4907[1].jpg

Nice catches Tom.

It's a sure sign that spring is near when bluegills return to shallow water.

I haven't caught any "brim" yet this year. However, we had a fun tying session for three of my favorite bluegill flies at the Free State Fly Fishers clubhouse in Davidsonville last Saturday morning:

IMG_7085.jpg

I will put them to good use in the coming weeks as the bluegills become more active.

In addition to bluegills, the top two flies served me well last year in catching hickory shad and white perch.

Good times are coming for those of us who like to sling flies for panfish in local waters.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Cool flies Mark. I use a similar floating foam spider, but usually in pink or lime green. If things come together this year, I might try again to catch a shad on my Tenkara rod. I was unsuccessful in my one 2023 shad trip. I think I was too late and missed them.

I'll continue to post my Tenkara fly fishing reports here on the web forum, but this place is going extinct pretty fast.

Comment

Working...
      X