Saturday morning Potomac run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday morning Potomac run

Me and a buddy are heading to the Potomac (Williamsport Boat Ramp) this Saturday, 6 September. We will be there in the morning in case anyone is in the area and wants to join us.

Shank, were you the two guys that were in the black truck with the two red kayaks( can't remember the type)? I was at Williamsport waiting on ArcheryRob and his daughter to go goose hunting.

Comment

Yep, sounds like a good description! Didn't have much luck fishing. We got there later than I wanted, but that is what I get for not driving. It was an awesome day to be out on the river, though. Did you have much luck with the geese?

Comment

Yes we did, we shot 8 total birds, it was a hot day to be on the river. Rob's daughter found a way to cool off. We jumped some birds and she shot from her kayak and it knocked her into the water�� she didn't get the bird but got cooled off quickly. She did better on the next group and nailed one��

Comment

Kind of curious myself, were you there with a kayak loaded up on a trailer when we showed up?

Comment

Yes that was me! We fish that area a lot and if you wants some advise as to where to go just give a shout!

Comment

I was floating in a tube on that Saturday in Brunswick. Yeah the water was clear as gin, got a few small one before lightning caused me to end the day.

The problem I had is the float from the boat ramp in town to the takeout at the campground was way too short. I'm looking for a longer float, say 2 miles, but don't want one longer than that as I may be with the wife and that's all the spectating she cares to do. Any suggestions along the Potomac? I need towpath access as I ride my bike back to the truck.

Comment

Lander to Point of Rocks is about 2.7 miles right along the towpath. Good fishery also.

Comment

Originally posted by kayakist View Post
                  Lander to Point of Rocks is about 2.7 miles right along the towpath. Good fishery also.
                  You know I had considered that. I"m told the river is 1 MPH, which sounds slow to me, so that's nearly 3 hours if true. I do know we tubed from Brunswick to Point of Rocks on a 100 degree day. Yeah that was fun.

Comment

I think 1 mph is fast for lower levels. I was out earlier in july and Brunswick campground to landers took me easily 5 hrs.
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                      I think 1 mph is fast for lower levels. I was out earlier in july and Brunswick campground to landers took me easily 5 hrs.
                      Guess it depends on how wide the section is. As we were going from the bridge to the campground I looked at the shore and it sure looked like we were going almost walking speed. It didn't' even take an hour and I believe that was a mile. But I don't know how wide and slow that section is from Lander to Point of Rocks. 5 hours to Lander from the campground? That's way too long, thanks for the info

Comment

Be mindful of wind direction too. I've had many days on the Potomac where the wind is blowing me backwards up the river, instead of the flow taking me down with the current.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                          Be mindful of wind direction too. I've had many days on the Potomac where the wind is blowing me backwards up the river, instead of the flow taking me down with the current.
                          Anoher great point. I can't belive how difficult this has become, we won't really know the wind effect untill we get on the river which makes it kind of hard to plan huh?

Comment

I've not fished the Potomac but fishing on the Greenbrier River at home used to drive me crazy.

In the spring, when the water is not quite so clear but up and moving a float is pretty easy. Later in the summer and early fall the water can be very clear and low and anytime the wind is opposite the direction of flow of the river you have to paddle down the river. I bought that canoe to fish, not paddle - so I bought a scanoe and put a trolling motor on the back - but that was up there. Now I have a kayak and I'm chomping at the bit to fish some of the rivers down here (I live in the Richmond, VA area). No motor for the kayak, so we'll have to see how well it "flows" as it floats.

Good luck on your Potomac trip. I'd be interested in what you catch if you take pictures, or even just report back here. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave in Mount Airy View Post
                              I was floating in a tube on that Saturday in Brunswick. Yeah the water was clear as gin, got a few small one before lightning caused me to end the day.

The problem I had is the float from the boat ramp in town to the takeout at the campground was way too short. I'm looking for a longer float, say 2 miles, but don't want one longer than that as I may be with the wife and that's all the spectating she cares to do. Any suggestions along the Potomac? I need towpath access as I ride my bike back to the truck.
                              Go with Brunswick to Lander. The water moves pretty fast about half of the way and then slows as you are coming up on Lander. We just did it a few weeks ago and I think it would be right around your 2 hour trip. We were kayaking and fishing and slowed down the tubers in our group as they had to wait for us to catch up. Floating straight through I think you would be right on 2hrs. or less

Comment

Working...
                              X