Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tridelphia 17 May 14 - First MD Walleye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing your family outing and catch with us. The picture of your rig helped too. It's interesting how home made rigs are made. I used to buy just what the store offered but am now experimenting with making some myself.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
      Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing your family outing and catch with us. The picture of your rig helped too. It's interesting how home made rigs are made. I used to buy just what the store offered but am now experimenting with making some myself.
      The spinners are pretty simple to put together. Snell a couple hooks, string a few beads, put a spinner blade on a clevis, one more bead, then finish with a loop at the tops. I start with a piece of 14# mono about 3 1/2 feet long, that ends up with it about 3 feet long when finished. Takes a couple minutes from start to bagging. I use 2" x 3" ziplock bags my wife picked up at a craft store. The pink beads I picked up at Michaels, they were in a mixed assortment, all the same size but in 5 or six colors...that messed with my O.C.D. something fierce, but I got through it buy sorting them in to bins.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I wrap my spinners around a section of old pool noodle.
        I need to get some stronger mono for the leaders. I used 8 pound when I made my last batch.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          I wrap my spinners around a section of old pool noodle.
          I need to get some stronger mono for the leaders. I used 8 pound when I made my last batch.
          That's a good way to keep them from getting tangled too. We used pool noodle to wrap our salmon trolling harnesses on dad's charter boat up in Alaska. I like to use the small zipper bags for these, just to keep them organized the smaller space a kayak allows. I have a couple dozen of them in two of the pockets in the center hatch of my Outback.

I use lighter leader materiel for the spinners than what I use on the rod I fish them with. I have 20# braid on the casting rods we use for trolling/drifting these. I'd rather lose a fifty cents worth of spinner components from a snag, than a spinner and a $2 bait walker weight.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

"that messed with my O.C.D. something fierce, but I got through it buy sorting them in to bins."
            Glad you were able to make it through that hardship.

I just put #15 braided line on my spinning reels for smaller fish like bass and trout. Do you think that will be too heavy? I put braid on because it has no memory and I'm having a problem with bird-nests in my small reels. The mono stays curled up and gets snagged, where the braid is smooth and stays straight.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

"that messed with my O.C.D. something fierce, but I got through it buy sorting them in to bins."
              Glad you were able to make it through that hardship.
              I'm not too hardcore OCD, just enough that things need to be in thier place...like sorting skittles in to flavors on my desk.

I just put #15 braided line on my spinning reels for smaller fish like bass and trout. Do you think that will be too heavy? I put braid on because it has no memory and I'm having a problem with bird-nests in my small reels. The mono stays curled up and gets snagged, where the braid is smooth and stays straight.
              15# line should be fine, I went with the 20# to give a margin of error over the leader material for the spinners...and because it was spool of the stuff at the Walmart in Laurel a couple weeks ago. I have that line loaded up on the two level wind baitcasting rod/reels that we troll with. I have 6# mono on my light and medium action spinning rods, it gets twists and memory pretty quick. On my ultralite spinning rod I have 2# mono, it doesn't seem to get the same twist/memory problems as the larger reel.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
              X