No announcement yet.

Torqeedo Evolve error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about the propeller problem. The one good thing about the Torqeedo is that all parts are replaceable. The bent pin is a sheer pin and should be replaced. During the spring, I hit some rocks with the lower unit, while fishing the upper Potomac. The next time out, I was getting an overcurrent error message. There appeared to have been some water intrusion of the motor housing. I had to replace the entire motor pylon. While it was expensive, it was not nearly the cost of an entirely new motor package. I did the work myself and was back in action for last weekends tournament. That being a plus for the Torqeedo, is that all the parts can be replaced. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do the work yourself. For parts you can go to the Torqeedo web site for the diagram of the motor parts. Then just place the order by phone. The service and support folks at Torqeedo will also help diagnose the problem. Fishing line in any motor, gas or battery, is a real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      Sorry to hear about the propeller problem. The one good thing about the Torqeedo is that all parts are replaceable. The bent pin is a sheer pin and should be replaced. During the spring, I hit some rocks with the lower unit, while fishing the upper Potomac. The next time out, I was getting an overcurrent error message. There appeared to have been some water intrusion of the motor housing. I had to replace the entire motor pylon. While it was expensive, it was not nearly the cost of an entirely new motor package. I did the work myself and was back in action for last weekends tournament. That being a plus for the Torqeedo, is that all the parts can be replaced. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do the work yourself. For parts you can go to the Torqeedo web site for the diagram of the motor parts. Then just place the order by phone. The service and support folks at Torqeedo will also help diagnose the problem. Fishing line in any motor, gas or battery, is a real problem.
      Thanks Dogfish, already have the part number written down, it's an easy fix. I ran the motor after I initially pulled out the leader material, thinking I cleared the fault. No error codes appeared so I am mostly confident water is not entering the housing. I have a love/hate relationship with my evolve, but it's needed for the amount of time and distance I put on the Susky flats.
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

That is good to know I should of done it myself. I sent my in to BYB and they sent it to the authorized guy in Richmond. Needless to say, I paid for it because each quoted price became higher with him telling me that it wasn't this and that and eventually he replaced pretty much the entire assembly. Although I paid for a new motor unit, I think I paid for the guy's job training also.

Comment

That is good to know... I think when I had originally looked into replacement parts, they wouldn't send you stuff unless you arean authorized dealer..

There are a few things I need to replace on mine that are functioning but not at top performance. The pin that I currently have in there is homemade...and the one cover is pretty dinged up
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

During the writing of my book, I was able to talk with Woody Calloway, owner of the Native brand. He told me that there was only 1 indcident of a propellor breaking and it was while the guy was in reverse. There was no protection from that direction. John may be the second person to break a prop, so congrats! :-)
            John doesn't secure the drive in case he hits something which is a good thought, but I think it really was the reason for the prop coming up and breaking against the hull. I wouldn't consider the prop suceptible to damage.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Does anybody know where to buy replacement sheer pins? I'm looking for a couple.

One comes with the prop if you buy it, but I haven't found a place that sells them (except this place in the UK:http://www.torqeedospares.co.uk/acat...039.html#SID=2)
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

They don't have to be Torqueedo, you can probably get the size needed from any west marine... currently, mine has a piece of coat hanger wire in it... Probably not the best idea, but it seems if it hits anything it automatically shuts off anyway. Im probably going to get a proper replacement
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  They don't have to be Torqueedo, you can probably get the size needed from any west marine...
                  They do have a bunch of shear pins, but they're all too big. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/s-j-pr...06_190_004_008 (they may have more in the store)

According to this thread: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=11&t=47008, the Torqueedo Evolve requires a 2.5x20mm sheer pin, which is about 3/32" x 3/4". The Hobie model number is 72021145 SHEAR PIN, 2.5x20mm.

But I get what you're saying... it's just a piece of stainless metal rod. My concern is getting one that has the correct breaking strength. Too strong and it will eat into your $100 prop. Too weak and it may break prematurely.

Still can't find anywhere online to buy just the pin. I'll see if Backyard Boats has some or can get them.

My backup plan is to cut the head off of a stainless steel bolt of the correct diameter.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

How about here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-dowel-pins/=u5fr6b
                    I ordered some stainless rod from them this weekend and already had it Monday. We use them at work all the time.
                    What size do you need. I may need to know that information at some point (hopefully not).

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      How about here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-dowel-pins/=u5fr6b
                      I ordered some stainless rod from them this weekend and already had it Monday. We use them at work all the time.
                      What size do you need. I may need to know that information at some point (hopefully not).
                      wow, that's a lot of pins! Unfortunately, they only go down to 3mm diameter. The spec for the torqeedo shear pin is 2.5mm x 20mm. I wonder if that extra 1/2mm matters.

(and Sparky, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread... i figure it's related and useful to all of us.)
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post
                        wow, that's a lot of pins! Unfortunately, they only go down to 3mm diameter. The spec for the torqeedo shear pin is 2.5mm x 20mm. I wonder if that extra 1/2mm matters.

(and Sparky, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread... i figure it's related and useful to all of us.)
                        Nah, they go down way smaller...for 2.5 x 20 here's your part number: 91585A042

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                          Nah, they go down way smaller...for 2.5 x 20 here's your part number: 91585A042
                          Oh nice! I was reading the tables wrong. Thanks, that should do it. Ordering now.

And it looks like I'm getting 50 of them, so free pins for everybody!
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm in
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I received the $10 50-pack of dowels from McMaster. wow, fast shipping. They look identical to the torqeedo shear pin and fit perfectly. For 20 cents each.

I heard back from Dennis at Backyard Boats and the Hobie part is $4... a 20-fold markup!

I am going to keep a bunch in my car, so if I forget, remind me to give you some next time I see any of you guys.
                              Mike S.
                              Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X