Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
    got it , thanks
    There is actually a mount for the front of the seat integrated in to the hull of the new Hobie kayaks. When you see one in person it makes more sense...
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Went on the DPS website to take a look. After enlarging the view. You can see how the front of the seat is integrated into the hull. Nice setup.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

You did some good mods to your kayak. If I had a Hobie Outback, I would be making Coop's seat mod. My butt hurts after a while on my 2011 Hobie Revo. I would not dare add that seat to my 2011 Revo, it would make it too unstable. The Outback is the perfect vessel for that seat mod. Looks like I will have to add an Outback to my fleet next year.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
          Looks like I will have to add an Outback to my fleet next year.
          You will not be disappointed.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Jackson kayak website is offering the seat for 50.00. They have the new 2015 seats coming out so they are trying to move some of the existing seats. http://store.jacksonkayak.com/elite-seat-kit-silver/

Comment

Coop...when you are sitting in the new seat, how far up off the kayak do you think you're sitting? I thought about a new seat for my Revo, but when I found one, it put me about 1-1/2 to 2" up off the boat. That wound up being a deal killer for me. I'm already top heavy and I think that the change in COG would have made it unstable when in the slop.

Nice project. I'll be thinking of that as my azz and back hurts on the next marathon run!

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
                Coop...when you are sitting in the new seat, how far up off the kayak do you think you're sitting? I thought about a new seat for my Revo, but when I found one, it put me about 1-1/2 to 2" up off the boat. That wound up being a deal killer for me. I'm already top heavy and I think that the change in COG would have made it unstable when in the slop.

Nice project. I'll be thinking of that as my azz and back hurts on the next marathon run!
                I have never used a Hobie, so cannot offer any direct thoughts on JKay's questions. However, I can compare two of my kayaks -- Manta Ray 14 paddle kayak with recessed seat and Slayer Propel 13 pedal kayak with elevated seat. My butt is at least a foot higher off the water in the Slayer Propel 13 than in the Manta Ray 14. Both kayaks are stable with their standard seating, but I don't think I would like having an elevated seat on the Manta Ray 14 -- that boat was not designed to have the center of gravity elevated off the floor of the boat and would most likely be top heavy. The Slayer Propel 13 has a tunnel-type hull that provides very good stability (On two occasions I crossed the mouth of the Severn with 2-ft waves hitting me on the side. After a few nervous minutes learning how the kayak would perform, I soon gained confidence and proceeded carefully without incident).

There are many creative and talented members on Snaggedline who have come up with innovative modifications and customizations to their kayaks. Coop's seat retrofit is a good example. I hope that the new seat provides sufficient stability and safety for him in all the sea conditions he faces. He is an experienced kayaker. I do encourage others who want to make structural or stability modifications to their kayaks to think things through carefully and test in calm water before getting out into rough conditions.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good post John. I think you summed that up well.

Comment

I wouldn't try that in revo the stability is totally different..When I first tried it out I was in some two to three foot sea and the outback moved rt along.But there were times were I had to lean to the side but I did that anyway.By me being a small guy their was real not that much change.I was luck enough to try my neighbor seat before I jump into buy one.This may not work for anyone.I can tell you this my back feel better.Yes it does raise seat height.
                    2012 hobie outback
                    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Hey Coop,

Nice job, I was wondering if it made any real difference on where your hand hits the rudder control. I am thinking about doing this but don't want to be leaning forward to steer.
                      Jim

Hobie Outback
                      TKAA member
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Yes it does. Right now I have the knob on there. Which made a big help. Iam in process of turning the handle around the opposite direction.Working on a spacer to get the height to get it to work. But right know the lean is not that much. .
                        Last edited by coop1486; 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM.
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Right on, I will stay tuned forfurther updates. Keep up the good work.
                          Jim

Hobie Outback
                          TKAA member

Comment

20141208_173437.jpg

This what I come up with to keep from having to lean or stretching.
                            2012 hobie outback
                            2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

20141208_173459-1.jpg
                              This what I did so that you don't have lean or stretch while turning the rudder.
                              2012 hobie outback
                              2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Right on, what is the spacer made out of?
                                Jim

Hobie Outback
                                TKAA member

Comment

Working...
                                X