Anyone paint their crates??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone paint their crates??????

was thinking of color matching the crate to the color of my boat. anyone done this before with positive results?

I don't remember the specifics, but I used a plastic specific rattle can to paint my PVC rocket launcher. Probably be a pain to get a crate painted without missing a lot of the nooks and crannies.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I've never been able to find a paint that is durable when painted on plastic. I've tried the Krylon Fusion and some others, and didn't have great results. My crate gets beat on pretty badly, particularly when going in/out of surf. I found a black crate years ago and it goes with all my kayaks.

Comment

I think the paint durability would be the biggest issue. It would be more durable on lightly sanded plastic but sanding the surfaces of a milk crate would be a nightmare. And I'm not sure it would help enough for the light beatings my crate takes anyway.

But hey, if it seems worth the time and effort to try, let us know how it goes for you.
        Mike

Comment

Black crate will probably enhance the look of you kayak, better than matching it. Most kayaks have black color trim anyway. Think of your lid covers, foot rest etc. , they are usually black. Besides plastics don't absorb paint or any coating for that matter. So your paint will peel off for sure. ( I painted for a living, when I was younger)

Comment

My first crate was green and I spray painted it black with a plastic rated paint. It held up well enough until I acquired a black crate and switched to that one.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I guess what bugs me the most is the white pvc pipe

Comment

I'm not crazy about the look of white PVC either. That's the only thing stopping me from getting more "creative" with rod holders, etc. I've seen guys with some really well thought out set-ups using PVC. Here's mine.

IMG_0762.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mebe007 View Post
                  I guess what bugs me the most is the white pvc pipe
                  I really like that PVC set up you have there. I think I would be too tempted to take out even more rods that I wouldn't use if I did that though. Do you use them for anything other than rods and the flag?
                  Mike

Comment

I only use it for rods and flag. I want a park n pole eventually along with a go pro and camera mount. I like my rods angled back to keep them out of my cast. But I can carry 7 rods if I so choose with along with my flag as my boat has 2 flush mounts

Comment

I painted my crate to match the kayak with Krylon fusion paint . It looked ok but the first time out the paint fell of when the plastic heated up from the sun. The paint did hold up on the PVC rod tubes and still looks good. I sanded both the crate and the rod tubes and cleaned them with acetone. I think there is some kind of anti mold agent in the plastic of the milk crate. So I now have a Black milk crate and rod holders.

PS: Black Milk crates are $5.49 at tractor supply
                      Last edited by plastic boat; 01-23-2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Try spray can of plastic primer first.Then apply you color..
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Remember the basic rule of poly plastic....if you want it to stick...it won't. If you dont want it to stick you'll never get it off

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

The most important thing is to clean it thoroughly before prime and paint. My recommendation would be to go to a body shop supply store. The bumpers of cars today are all plastic. They make a pre-cleaner product that will remove the surface oils. Plastics have oils in them that bleed out to the surface and it is very important to remove these surface oils first. The next step is to use a good primer. The primers that you would by at a body shop supply store also have an adhesion aid in them.
                            Then make sure you by a plastic specific paint. This does not have to be bought from a body shop supply store. I can't emphasize enough how important the cleaning process is in removing those oils to ensure proper adhesions of any paint to plastics.

Comment

After speaking to some folks in Home Depot and you tube watching, I am going to lightly go over my spectacular gift crates with a small wire wheel; then paint them black with good acrylic paint to cont, rast my yellow Tarpon 140. I have been assured this will work and hold up, small arms fire and flame throwers notwithsanding.
                              DaveO
                              Arnold/Annapolis
                              Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                              X