No announcement yet.

5 must haves for a new Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this was mentioned, but a great fishing kayak for the areas you will be fishing would be my first choice.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

adequate hatches (access) to interior of the kayak.
      I typ do 2-3 day fishing trips out of my kayaks and "COULD" fit 90% of my gear "internal" if I had access.
      It confounds me to no end that most manufactures are clueless to how their kayaks are used.
      My Tarpon 120's and Redfish 10 have no rear access to all the wasted internal storage space in the rear of the yak.
      They both have 4.25" clear openings on the rear hatch.
      I just picked up a Jackson Coosa HD,, A KAYAK DONE RIGHT

Slack
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jaynik View Post
        ...but I didn't specifically see leashes identified. They can be a pain, but can also save you some gear.
        Definitely leash your paddle. A simple length of parachute cord works.. Get a handful of those el'cheapo el'fake'o carabiners (snap links) from your local Big Box store.

Comment

HOOK1 sticker
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

There are the givens of a paddle, and pfd.

If you are fishing, you can do it without a depthfinder, but I can attest to how hard it can be to find the fish without a depthfinder if the water isn't very clear or is deep.

I carry a pair of fishing pliers, with a built in line/wire cutter on my belt, with a leash to the holster. It helps with unhooking fish, but also allows for a safety in case I get hooked, or a line gets tangled.

I also have a waterproof UHF/VHF radio that I hook to my PFD so it is with me at all times. I have this no matter where I'm fishing, even smaller bodies of water.

I also carry a folding anchor with me with 100 ft of line for it. This allows me to anchor up if I need to, or if the tides are pulling me and I'm not able to keep up. I will also carry a drift anchor (I think it's an 18" model) to help slow me down at times, or to keep my straight with the wind and waves while drifting.

Getting down to it, the "Must Haves" are:
            - Good Paddle
            - Good, well fitting PFD
            - Dive knife or Fishing Pliers
            - Anchor with 100 yards of line
            - Water Bottle filled with fresh water
            - Small Survival kit with some sort of fire starter in a water proof container.

Comment

I have gotten to the point of being a minimalist in fishing out of my Outback- I usually just carry tackle rigged for the fish I am targeting and a few lures in case I lose one or need to change colors- my electronics are important they tell me a lot but I know the fishing spots well enough to do without...and 50% of the time or more I do not carry my anchor- only if I am going to fish for catfish or croakers-my cell phone is one of the most important items for safety- it is in a life lock waterproof case...and I have tested it twice- it is waterproof- I wear a Hobie inflatable PFD all the time- I am never without it when I am on the water- and I am a very good swimmer- a whistle is attached to my PFD by a lanyard...I usually stop at a 7-11 and pick up a big sports bottle of water to carry onboard or refill one...I always have a folding knife and usually fishing pliers- the Boga grip comes in handy for frisky fish with a mouth full of lures with multiple treble hooks...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I also am a minimalist. The more I fish from my kayak the less I carry. I went through an evolution of bringing lots of stuff for every contingency to bringing as little as I can as my kayak experience grew. I use one or two Plano boxes carrying lures/flies only for the species I am seeking. Often I never change my lures during an outing. I do bring 2 or 3 rods rigged and ready to go.

Also, I've gotten away from rod leashes. They were more trouble than they were worth for my style of fishing. I never had a striper pull a rod from my holder while trolling which could be a sad indicator of the size of the fish I catch, or maybe I have been lucky. Also, I’ve never had waves bounce a rod from my boat which may reveal my conservative approach to avoid rough water.

I use no live or cut bait and with no leashes to entangle me I carry no knife immediately within my grasp. I used to carry one, however.

I use forceps in lieu of pliers. They’re smaller than piers and clip to my PFD. But I’ve also gotten adept at removing hooks from fish with my fingers, even toothy critters if they’re not hooked deep. My forceps are untouched for the vast majority of my catches.

Regarding an anchor I just got one in this my 4th year of kayak fishing. I never felt a need for an anchor in my Revo where I control my position with pedals and rudder. However I used an anchor in my recent first outing in my Ultimate 12 and I found it very helpful. The anchor trolley is a great invention.

One of these days, I am going to launch with just the required safety equipment, a single box of lures and one rod to see if I can still catch fish like I used to do years ago when I had only a canoe and no disposable income to fill it with every fishing gadget imaginable.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Don't think this was mentioned. A float pan & specifics of where you will be & expected time of return.

When I go out I often leave a paper map of where I expect to be & my expected time of return face down on my truck seat. I'd leave it on the windshield if i was sure that my truck was in a 100% safe area.
                  Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                  Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
                    Don't think this was mentioned. A float pan & specifics of where you will be & expected time of return.

When I go out I often leave a paper map of where I expect to be & my expected time of return face down on my truck seat. I'd leave it on the windshield if i was sure that my truck was in a 100% safe area.
                    That's a good idea.

Downs Park and Fort Smallwood Park in A.A. County used to request that info from kayakers upon entry. They recorded it with your car tag info. I haven't been to either launch so far this year so I don't know if they still do.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X