It Just Got Real!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Just Got Real!!

It's time to engineer this on to my Hobie PA14. OH YEAH,this is happening.

FB_IMG_1553112057997.jpg
    2017 Hobie PA14

Good luck! That will be one very long tiller handle extension! Unless you are going to try to integrate the stock turning to control that as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
    Bass - 18.5''
    Striper - 22.5"
    Snakehead - 28"

Comment

Thanks. The motor will be going on the back. I will be relocating the tiller arm to the seat area. This will give me throttle control at the seat. The motor will be locked in the forward position. I installed the XL rudder so I will have better turning. It's longer and wider than the stock PA rudder. I may at sometime, tie the motor to the rudder if the turning is not tight enough. The whole idea is to use this to get too and from my spots faster.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

XL rudder? I thought 2015 and later all has the upgraded one? If you don't mind sharing the link I'd love to upgrade mine too! I hear ya on getting from one spot to another. You're going to fly with this puppy haha

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
        Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
        Bass - 18.5''
        Striper - 22.5"
        Snakehead - 28"

Comment

A tiller extension isn't the problem.
          I hope that you have very long arms to be able to reach back and pull the starter rope! Lol
          You will also need to place some weight forward to trim out the craft or it will want to stand on it's tail when you open the throttle quickly.

I've tried this motor on a 16 foot canoe with a side mount and then on a square sterned canoe.
          I would have been better off going to a jonboat.

Comment

I shouldn't say XL it's listed as a large. I called DPS and asked Chris if there was a bigger rudder for the PA. He said yep and for $35 bucks he mailed it to me. It is longer and wider. I have noticed a huge difference in turning. Here's the link to DPS.

https://www.delawarepaddlesports.com...ge-pro-angler/
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I just have to place a rope extension on the handle for starting. Also at 270 pounds I think I'll have plenty of forward weight. A lot of guys in CA and FL run this setup. Tons of video on YouTube University.
              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

For a time the large PA rudder was called the "sailing rudder". It has a lot more surface area, but it also hangs down lower than the stock rudder. When I made the upgrade it required shaving just a few mm off the rudder; otherwise, when you stand the PA on end to drain via the rear drain valves the weight of the PA rests on the rudder, not the skids.

With regard to transom mounts for the PA series, there are a fair number of designs out there, but lots of them are janky, obtrusive, overbuilt, underbuilt, etc. I spent some time designing and building a rear transom for my 30lb Minn Kota trolling motor. In the end, a custom transom made of UV stabilized 1/4" Seaboard, 1/2" aluminum angle iron and pop rivets provided the best weight-performance ratio, durability and was the least intrusive in terms of drilling into the yak.

Good luck on the build...take pictures!
                I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                Garmin Echomap 93sv
                RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Curious to see the results of this.
                  Native Titan Propel 12
                  Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                  Mercury 6hp
                  Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I got the transom fabricated and at the welders. Should have it back this coming Friday. Everything else is done, numbers on kayak, relocated the throttle control and so on. After I get the transom back I'll post a bunch of pics. Sorry it's taking so long. Damn work keeps getting in the way.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

So I have everything together. How do I post a video?? Test run tomorrow, weather permitting.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Steve6902; 05-10-2019, 08:59 PM.
                      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I hope this works

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4WoxmcsW1Vc
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Looks great! Good call on the Honda, 500 hours on my 225 and not a single issue.

Excuse my ignorance but don't you need to have a water source hooked up to a motor running out of the water? I run my 225 on muffs when it is out of the water or I will burn the impeller and other parts, possibly the whole engine considering the fact that water is used for cooling. Is it not the same case with a smaller OB?
                          Annapolis
                          2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                          Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

The Honda that I'm using is the 2.3 HP. It is a centrifugal clutch and AIR COOLED. It also exhaust out the bottom. Plus with it being centrifugal clutch there is no gear shifting required. As the RPMs increase the clutch engages the drive shaft. The Suzuki 2.5 is water cooled and has a neutral and forward shifter. It also cost $750 where the Honda is $950.
                            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

How do you start it?
                              Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                              Mercury 6hp
                              Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Working...
                              X