No announcement yet.

Truck Bed – How Much Yak Overhang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any legal restrictions on overhang -- how far cargo can extend beyond the bed?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Are there any legal restrictions on overhang -- how far cargo can extend beyond the bed?
      I believe there is a specific length in which you’re required to tie a flag or cloth on the end of whatever it it you’re hauling. I don’t know the exact length because I always tie a flag on the stern because I want other to see the kayak regardless of how much overhang I have.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I previously used a Odyssey minivan (yak cartopping) for nine years. When I decided to get a truck to specifically make yak hauling easier, I wanted a Tacoma with the 6 ft bed. After reading about trucks, the Honda Ridgeline clearly won me over. It came only with a 5 ft bed, but it met my needs.

My past hauling needs were met with the minivan. In fact, during the 19 years we've owned it, I've hauled yaks, upright freezer, couch, lawn mower, mulch bags, bicycles, queen mattress/box, scrap lumber, 4x8' plywood and drywall, 2x4s, fence posts, large screen TV, table/chairs, and other stuff.

So, my short bed truck adds a bit more hauling capability over what I already have.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          I believe there is a specific length in which you’re required to tie a flag or cloth on the end of whatever it it you’re hauling. I don’t know the exact length because I always tie a flag on the stern because I want other to see the kayak regardless of how much overhang I have.
          Projecting beyond the bed does require a red flag. I've seen, red / orange / yellow, and for every 1 that has a flag, I see 10 without flags. This is for ANYTHING projecting beyond the truck bed... I can't count how many trucks on 695 / 495 do not have flags...

Lowes / HomeDepot give you a red plastic flag for free if you are making a purchase of an item that projects beyond. Not everyone heeds this, but Lowes/HD defers all their liability by providing said for free.

*edit - coming from someone who is heavily involved in the construction industry.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I did an online search and found out that the Federal Department of Transportation requires flags on cargo overhangs of 4 feet from the back of vehicles and 3 feet over the front. There are also rules for wide loads. States can require more stringent laws on this matter but it appears that Maryland follows federal regs.

Michael's observation indicates enforcement of this regulation is lax which is probably a good thing for our community.

Using a flag is definitely a wise move to stay on the good side of the law in case it gets diligent and also to add visibility to your valuable cargo.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X