No announcement yet.

DNR required safety items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am listing the items that i carry. There are probably more. The only item required by maryland on a kayak is a pfd. However, you may want to carry more.

Pfd

small horn: To warn boats of your presence

orange flag: Such as those by yak attack, which includes a light

white light if you paddle, green/red bow light is you use an electric motor, if out at night.

First aid kit

vhf radio

strobe light

signal mirror

added floatation: I use pool noodles. I have wrapped them aroung the scupper columns that run beneath the deck of my sit on top, attached with zip ties. Just in case.

Alway take extra water on a trip.

Comment

When DNR checked me this spring, they only asked if i had a whistle and pdf(which i was wearing).

i have a flashlight and first aid kit on the yak. on my pdf i have knife, mirror, and whistle.
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

I have the Pfd,Whistle,VHF, and on the vest a Dive knife without a point. I have used this knife soo many times to clear lines especially when your trolling 2 umbrella 150' back and a crab pot spontaneously sprouts in the lines. Id recomend a dive knife. My VHF pairs to my cell phone so i can make and recieve calls from it while the cell is safe and dry in the hatch.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

^what vhf do you have that can do that?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
            ^what vhf do you have that can do that?
            its made by cobra (hh475)

https://www.cobra.com/detail/hh475-f...technology.cfm

I usually only pair it when im out by myself.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

that thing is slick. how long have you had it. work well? clear voice on blue tooth and vhf? think i may pick one up
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                that thing is slick. how long have you had it. work well? clear voice on blue tooth and vhf? think i may pick one up
                I just made a video of how it works im uploading it now.
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I usually carry( in the zippered pockets of my PFD, which I wear) a folding stainless steel knife, a whistle on a orange cord, a VHF radio, some energy bars (I am a type II diabetic), inside a sealed plastic bag my IPhone 3gs, and a Finepix XP10 camera. I have a spare paddle but rarely have it on board the yak.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/...ead.php?t=1309
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Here is what I carry every time...
                      Life jacket, whistle, siphon pump, vhf handheld, water, rope.

I'm going to start toting along a light weight overnight bag when I go solo or to an area that I dont know that wel or is vast stretches of stuff that looks the same.

I have two life jackets. A harmony white water pfd and an inflatable belt pack style. on the hot days I have the harmony in the rear tank well and wear the belt pack. I also have a Cobra VHF but my cool feature isnt the bluetooth... Its that I can talk on it with the cheapo 2-way radios like the motorola. Its nice because I can hand off one of the motorola's I have and can keep in contact without using VHF or making my fishing buddy keep a vhf. The siphon pump will come in handy if the interior of my boat starts to flood.

Comment

I carry all that: whistle, radio, flag ......

The other day while on the water yak fishing, I accidentally cut my index finger (don't ask me how I did this dumb thing) with my handy-dandy knife. I thought I had a band aid or something. Looked everywhere for a first aid kit, but had nothing. Guess what I now carry?

Check to make sure you have everything.
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

ANY fisherman should carry a pair of side cutter pliers to remove a hook driven through your hand or fingers by a flopping fish- I cannot tell you how many times I have witnessed this in my own family and have had a hook removed (at the hospital) from my face in an accident fishing the CBBT back in the 80's during a trout blitz- we cut the hook off the lure with side cutters and fished out the blitz- then sat in the ER for hours waiting to get the surgery- got to have your priorities in life-

Comment

ron, I think you mean side cutters like the double jointed ones (e.g., Knipex), not regular wire cutters, right? I have the Knipex and it's easy to cut the hardest hooks.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Mine are fishing pliers, Tuf with the side cutters on top and haywire twist jaws- in a little leather belt pouch for fishing wire- I have had these for decades-

Comment

Does anyone know if navigation (red and green) lights are required for a kayak with a motor operating at night?
                                Ryan
                                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                                X