No announcement yet.

lower back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too have had lower back pain. I have found, like others have previously mentioned, a consistent routine of core exercises and stretching is a great help in warding off pain. Also, lately I have been using a foam roller to work my upper leg and hip muscles. I find that sitting for long periods tends to tighten these muscle and exacerbates my back issues. The roller seems to release the tightness and makes a huge difference.
    Hope this helps and you can find a solution.

Ed
    Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
      No worries! I went to the Doc and found out it is a muscle in my sacrum. Only problem with that is the sacrum is an area with 5 vertebrae that attach the tail bone and ligaments to the hip bone (or something like that) So it freaking hurts. Debilitating when inflammed. Lucky for me they only prescribe Motrin or ibuprofen. I could have really benefited from a muscle relaxer I think. Good ol military medicine. They’ll give you Motrin for a hole in the head if they could. I've looked online for streches. It feels good but seems to just piss it off and make it worse. Guess Ill keep trying and hope it gets better. Thanks for all the replies and help!
      1) get some aleve and put ice on it at night. Eventually, anti inflammatory meds and ice
      2) if you don't re-injure (can't put heat on fresh injury) you can alternate heat and cold to speed healing and reduce pain.... sports medicine 101 for muscle and ligament injuries: reduce inflammation/get blood to area to speed healing/repeat---old wrestling coach speaking
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Aleve has helped. I got a new chair at work so thats helping too. Stretching is showing progress as well so I think it's coming along. Ill be trying the ice tonight.

I believe the main reason for the injury is... or was, having an active lifestyle, but then having a kid and getting a desk job. I just don't do as much as I used to and now muscles that use to do things aren't that active anymore. So when I get back out and get busy, I get hurt.

As probably one of the last posts on this thread I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping out and sorry I kidnapped the dry dock. I thought this was going to be about seats and something I was doing wrong. Turns out it just happens sometimes and there are ways to move it along.
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Kinda old post but thought I could add something

I too have major back issues due to an Iraqi sniper round I took in the L3 region of my back in 05. Definitely agree with the core exercises as well as good seats like surf to summit. The main thing that has helped me be able to spend any length of time in my yak are the lower back heat pads from therma care. They are not cheap, but worth there weight in platinum in my opinion. One pad will last all day, not a cure by any means but helps me be able to make it through a day. Just move it up and down your core as stiffness sets in. I stock up when ever I find a sale at a PX or where ever I see them in lg/xl. Hope it helps someone as much as it does me. Tight Lines

Comment

Delawhere,

First, glad you made it back vertical, from a Viet Vet who's been there, done that.

As for heat pads, I buy the larger handwarmers at Walmart. They last for almost 16 hours and are really cheap. I just move it (them) around where I need it and it really helps.

I even put the smaller ones in my pockets to keep the blood warm in my legs when doing outdoors sports in the winter.

Regards,
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
            X