Gear Trac Fishing Rod Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Trac Fishing Rod Mount

I have Gear Tracs on the front portion of my kayak. I was wondering what the best configuration for a rod holder would be that attaches to the Gear trac. Scotty and Ram make a ton of products that look like they'd work. But I wanted to get an opinion from you guys who already use them. What rod holder and mounting configuration would you recommend?
    Thanks....

yak attack screwball and ram tube....thats the set up i use. easy to remove when not in use

http://kayakfishinggear.com/ram2008t...itetube-1.aspx

http://kayakfishinggear.com/comingso...1-2-1-1-1.aspx
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

+1 on the Ram mounts. I have used screwballs from Luther at YakAttack and the Ram rod holders.

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
      yak attack screwball and ram tube....thats the set up i use. easy to remove when not in use

http://kayakfishinggear.com/ram2008t...itetube-1.aspx

http://kayakfishinggear.com/comingso...1-2-1-1-1.aspx
      Don Haller
      Chesapeake Beach, MD
      Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
      – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I wouldn't do that ........... the better way and more expensive is attaching the scotty mounts to the gear tracs ....... they attach in 2 places and they have a lower profile so there is less leverage to deal with. The single track ball of the ram mount puts alot of stress on the 1 spot because of all of the leverage. I have seen the fishing videos where someone gets a hit with the Ram mount rod holder and the rod holder spins around. You don't have that with the Scotty. Yakattack had it on their website (the configuration) but I can't find it now. I think it uses 2 mighty mounts attached to the scotty mount that uses 2 T bolts to attach to the gear trac. I have both and this 1 works the best. I don't trust the Ram mount.

I'll look at it when I get home.

Oh ...... I just found it .......... it's the MMS on this page ...... http://yakattack.us/Products/Products.html

Comment

I should post a photo. I use the Ram rod holder in conjunction with Luther's T mounted screw balls. I've not had a problem yet but then again Im not out every weekend. This is also essentially the same configuration that comes factory on the Jackson fishing Kayaks.

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          I wouldn't do that ........... the better way and more expensive is attaching the scotty mounts to the gear tracs ....... they attach in 2 places and they have a lower profile so there is less leverage to deal with. The single track ball of the ram mount puts alot of stress on the 1 spot because of all of the leverage. I have seen the fishing videos where someone gets a hit with the Ram mount rod holder and the rod holder spins around. You don't have that with the Scotty. Yakattack had it on their website (the configuration) but I can't find it now. I think it uses 2 mighty mounts attached to the scotty mount that uses 2 T bolts to attach to the gear trac. I have both and this 1 works the best. I don't trust the Ram mount.

I'll look at it when I get home.

Oh ...... I just found it .......... it's the MMS on this page ...... http://yakattack.us/Products/Products.html
          Don Haller
          Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The photo below is the configuration I have been using. As long as the ScrewBall is tightly anchored it would take quite a tug to spin it off. I know it can happen but I'm usually watchin' that rod like a hawk anyway.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_2066.jpg
            Don Haller
            Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

put it on your yak ........ put a rod in it .........tighten the drag and wrap a rag around you hand and the line around your hand tighten the line and then jerk real hard and fast and long (at least 6 ft) .......... like a 20 lber traveling very fast and hitting the lure from the side ........... I've broken a screw ball by trying to unscrew a ram mount to take it off .......

It ain't small ones you care about ......... it ain't the small 1's you want ........it aint the small 1's that take your rod overboard ............

Don't get me wrong ....... they will both work but the scotty mount on the gear track is more secure in my opinion

Comment

++2 on the ram mounts I have 2 sets of the track one in front and behind me. its nice I set up for the way I'm going to fish and if I crab everything comes off nothing sticking up in the way...
                Originally posted by Biggrizzly View Post
                +1 on the Ram mounts. I have used screwballs from Luther at YakAttack and the Ram rod holders.
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I would use what you feel most comfortable with. I am sure that there are more than Grilled and BigGrizz that use that set up. I read just about everything on this forum, and others. I can't recall when someone had a fish so big or hit so hard it sheared the mount. So, I would not feel the slightest bit nervous about using this set up. Just being realistic...

Comment

You hit the nail on the head I have not heard of anybody ripping a mount out its all in your DRAG I set mine up so I can pull it out with some good resistance but I can still pull it. I had both lines go down last year and I landed both. I am on the Dark side that helps
                    Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                    I would use what you feel most comfortable with. I am sure that there are more than Grilled and BigGrizz that use that set up. I read just about everything on this forum, and others. I can't recall when someone had a fish so big or hit so hard it sheared the mount. So, I would not feel the slightest bit nervous about using this set up. Just being realistic...
                    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Drag + rod flexibility = capable of handling really big fish.

That was my line of thought.

Comment

Sorry echo5, I would have to agree with memory maker on this one. When you set up the gear tracks with your ram girly balls, and loose a fish because the cast aluminum shears clean off you'll remember why we like the manly stout Scotty mount. Ain't no body got time for breakin ram balls out on the water.
                        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                          No one said or implied anything about shearing off anything ......... what I said is that it can turn and it only has 1 point of connection with alot of leverage. I did break a ball .......... I went to loosen in and the ball broke .... it would turn without the screw loosening ........ had to hammer it off. Luther did replace it. Apparently it was an old ball and the design had changed.

I'm also not talking about breaking a ram mount ....... they are pretty tough ....... I'm talking about 1 moving or swinging with a very hard hit. As far as drag and the rod ........ well the problem is when you didn't lighten the drag or the drag freezes with a big aggressive fish hitting hard ........ it's not the fight ...... it's the once in a lifetime strike ........

Again ...... no debate ...... everybody has their own preference and this is mine with my reasons why. As I said, I have both and will use both. The ram sometimes because they look better ......... other times the Scotty's because they are more secure. No right and no wrong and no debate ........ everyone has their preference.
                          Last edited by Memory Maker; 03-04-2013, 10:41 PM.

Comment

If you already use Scotty rod holders, take a look at a relatively new Scotty base that fits into a gear track (#438). I installed two of them in December. They are not as solid a connection as the Yak Attack bases, and would not be the right application if you plan to troll for large fish. However, when trolling for small and medium fish or just to hold rods while underway, they should be fine. They are smaller in size and have a much lower cost.

001_2.jpg 004_2.jpg 31.jpg
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
                              You hit the nail on the head I have not heard of anybody ripping a mount out its all in your DRAG I set mine up so I can pull it out with some good resistance but I can still pull it. I had both lines go down last year and I landed both. I am on the Dark side that helps
                              ........ not a problem with the 20 something fish ........... not the same with an ocean fresh 30+ lb fish .........

Comment

Working...
                              X