Gear Trac Fishing Rod Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    If you already use Scotty rod holders, take a look at a relatively new Scotty base that fits into a gear track (#438). I installed two of them in December. They are not as solid a connection as the Yak Attack bases, and would not be the right application if you plan to troll for large fish. However, when trolling for small and medium fish or just to hold rods while underway, they should be fine. They are smaller in size and have a much lower cost.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5824[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5825[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5826[/ATTACH]
    John ...... that's not the 1 I was talking about ....... that setup doesn't look as strong as the Ram mount ...... but it is fine with the smaller fish ......

Comment

anyone that uses the ram ball and tube for trolling, have you had the tube slip on the ball? i bought a ram tube and no matter how tight i screwed it on, the tube could still slip on the ball with some force. i ended up using the scotty rocket launcher with flush mount and will probably do the same on my new yak.

Scotty477.jpg
      sigpic

Comment

I think the ram mounts will handle these bigger fish you speak of. That's all. I do agree, however, that it all comes down to personal preference. That's why I use my own version of the PVC rod/trolling holder.

Comment

John,
          Which Scotty rod holder is that? Would it accomodate a spinning rod?
          Thanks,
          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
            John,
            Which Scotty rod holder is that? Would it accomodate a spinning rod?
            Thanks,
            Bruce
            When sold with a standard Scotty base it is called a model 280. If you want just the rod holder part, it is model 279. Visit the Scotty website to see what they look like. They are available at various local boating or kayak shops and through online vendors. I have two standard Scotty bases behind my seat (one on either side) and the two new gear track bases on the tracks. I use the same model rod holder in all four bases.

Scotty claims the rod holder works for both spinning and bait casting rods. I only fish spinning rods -- they work fine for that. The rubber strap can be used to secure the rod while trolling. It is not easy to engage and disengage the strap when reaching behind, so I do not use it. I have never had a fish yank the rod from the holder. Unless you have a very rigid rod and a tight drag, the initial strike will bend the rod noticeably and the rod will shake.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, John. I think that's the set-up I'll go with. I can only hope that I get a fish big enough to yank the rod out...the anticipation of a whopper is worth the risk of a lost fish because in my case, I'm sure it won't happen. Thanks to all members who entered into this "lively" discussion...it was helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                anyone that uses the ram ball and tube for trolling, have you had the tube slip on the ball? i bought a ram tube and no matter how tight i screwed it on, the tube could still slip on the ball with some force. i ended up using the scotty rocket launcher with flush mount and will probably do the same on my new yak.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5827[/ATTACH]

That is what I am talking about ........ thanks

Comment

I use the Scotty mounts, with the two piece gear track mounts. It is a very solid mount. I use mine mainly for trolling, and they hold up to the strikes. Without getting into any debates or arguments, I have always been doubtful of the Ram type balls for trolling. I must agree about the drag setting comment. However, when trolling larger hooks, one must have the drag set tight enough to set the hook solidly.

Simply assess the type of fishing you intend to do with the rod holder.

Comment

Working...
                  X