Question about a kayak trailer for a Hobie Outback or Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a kayak trailer for a Hobie Outback or Adventure

I am working on a plan and need some info about a trailer to pull a kayak on the road with. A little background first:

At the end of this season, I plan on selling my boat and OC Trident 13. I then plan to buy a 16 foot Hobie with the Mirage drive. I don't know Hobies that well but I know I don't want the 138 lb one!

I mostly fish the bay bridge and the Severn River. When I fish the Severn, I launch out of Jonas Green park. Since I don't want to man handle a 70lb yak onto my car roof, as I now do with the Trident, I want to trailer it.

I have seen some trailers that have bicyle wheels and they won't work for driving Rt 50 from Davidsonville. I will need something that can be registered but hopefully, not as heavy as a real boat trailer.

And no, I do not want to buy another pick up truck. I am about to retire and plan to drive my Camry till it or I die, whichever comes first.

Does anyone have any pointers for me on trailers?

Thanks,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I used to have a utility trailer and made some bunks for it. I originally used that trailer with a 4-cylinder Camry. I carried two kayaks to Wachapreague several years ago on that trailer. There are various small trailers designed specifically for kayak use for example, see http://www.austinkayak.com/subcatego...er-Accessories. You can research those.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Just be aware that trailers aren't allowed at Jonas Green
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find an aluminum trailer, I think bass pro shops sells a few models. And I'm sure I wouldn't be hard to find an aluminum utility trailer. Any jetski trailer should be light enough, it would be easier on the car to not drive in overdrive. Or click the "sport" button when trailering. Reason being, less shifting for the trans to keep the heat down. And when it shifts it gift harder so there's less slipping which is what gives you a smoother ride for comfort.
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

If you can swing it.... the Yakima rack n Roll trailer is the coolest lightest trailer around.

Comment

"Just be aware that trailers aren't allowed at Jonas Green"

That just threw a monkey wrench in the works! Now I have to work on a new plan. Maybe I have to abandon my Camry and get another pick up. and a T bar.

John
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Trailers are allowed at Jonas Green if you want to drop off your kayak and then park at the Scenic Overlook on Rt 450 and walk back. Ask me how I know

Comment

I thought about that. The problem is that you have to lug your gear from the car or "trust" that no one at the park will make off with your rods, FF etc. I have seen some pretty shady characters in that park and don't no if I want to trust them at all.

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

In any event, Backyard Boats sells Trailex trailers, with bunks to fit the shape of various Hobie kayak hulls. I already had a Trailex trailer, so I just put the ProAngler bunks on the trailer. It is an aluminum trailer, smooth set up. When launching from remote areas, where there is no ramp, I use the trailer as my dolly.

Comment

I'm was going to stay away from Trailex as my experience was they were too light for highway speeds. Having used one with a sunfish years ago, I found out that they bounce around alot.

I had an 8 foot folding steel trailer that I bought from JC Whitney in the eighties. It worked great for the Sunfish and was also good for store trips with the cradles removed. However, it was pretty heavy.

I guess it is possible that Trailex has improved so maybe I will take a look at them again.

John
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

The secret with the Trailex is to lessen the air pressure in the tires. I have not had any problem with bounce with Trailex. The tire trick is the answer to most any boat hauling. I used to have the same problem with jon boats.

Comment

Good to know about the tire pressure. I have been conditioned to keep my cars tires up to the recommended pressure to ensure a long life. I will have to modify my thinking if I go with the lightweight trailer.

John
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

One other option to consider is the Thule Hullavator system that pivots down to the side of your vehicle, allowing easy loading into a cradle and piston-assisted raising to roof level. It is pretty expensive, but still considerably less than a trailer. You could lift one end of your kayak at at time onto the Hullavator, minimizing the lifting required.

Here is a video showing how it works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pi90FXW4JA
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great idea, if I had rails on my Camry. Without factory rails, I was confined to the universal type and I almost lost the yak as they don't secure well to my model year. (2004)

John
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I bought a small galvanized trailer from Dave's Boat Trailers in Glen Burnie, MD = 14' I think. It is a small John boat type trailer or can be used for jet skis. The bunks fit my Cuda perfect. Just around $500 out the door with tags, tax and title fees.
                              Don Haller
                              Chesapeake Beach, MD
                              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X