Question about a kayak trailer for a Hobie Outback or Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don,

That sounds like a good option. I'm in Glen Burnie often and I know where Dave's is. I'll check it out.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Get a hullinator and bag the trailer..it will resolve your lifting problem and you will not have to deal with all the maintenance of a trailer

Comment

I don't think the hullinator will work well on a car with no roof rack rails.

John
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Look up harbor freight kayak trailer mod on utube. Trailer is priced at $180 extension steel under hundred dollars some elbow grease and ingenuity it's not that hard save a lot of money I'm going to do it myself.

Comment

Malone makes a nice trailer. It a little pricey at about $1400.00. The Yakima is awesome but really pricey at 2,000. The nice thing about the Yakima is that it can be stored upright against a wall.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

To much money for me.

Comment

To much money for me.

+1 for this almost retiree. I looked at a small jet ski trailer today. It was priced at $495 and was galvanized with highway wheels. I forget the name but I will stop back next week and look some more. The bunks would have to be changed or brought closer together if possible and that is all I could see that it needed.

I have owned the Harbor Freight type trailers including a folding 4x8 that I used for trailering a sunfish around. They are ok if you replace the hardware and the chinese lights and wiring but they still use 8" wheels. The jet ski trailer has 12 inch wheels which have no problem with 65 MPH highway speeds. A big plus is that the jet ski trailer is already built and doesn't come in three broken boxes from HF.

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry and use the Yakima Q tower system with 48" crossbars. It carries my outback fine without any issues. They are all over Craigslist if you search for 'Yakima rack', all you'll need is the Q clips that fit your specific car's door frames. I got mine from REI since they usually have most in stock. If you're worried about lifting it yourself, get this retractable bar that will help loading it. http://www.rackwarehouse.com/yakima-...ad-assist.html Definitely a cheaper option than a trailer.
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

300 dollars will buy wheels and a lot of hard ware.Plus by making a simple t bar I can carry six kayaks and a lockable strong box under the kayak rack.

Comment

I did a lot of homework on this same issue last year. Sharpened my pencil multiple times and looked at my needs and what was easier and best bang for the buck. The commercial built Jetski / jonboat trailer is the way to go hands down if you ask me. If you need to add additional spots later for more yaks its doable as well. ~$500 will get you into a great little trailer. You have to make the choices on how much your labor and time are worth versus just going down and driving home with a turnkey trailer. Also, moving the bunks and configuring the trailer is very easy. I did it... Anyone can do it.
                      Don Haller
                      Chesapeake Beach, MD
                      Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                      – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

"I have a 2009 Toyota Camry" I wish I did. Mine is a 2004 and the door sills are different.

"The commercial built Jetski / jonboat trailer is the way to go hands down if you ask me." I am leaning that way as well. Loading and unloading is much easier with arthritic shoulders and a on again/off again back.

John
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

M
                          Originally posted by john from md View Post
                          "I have a 2009 Toyota Camry" I wish I did. Mine is a 2004 and the door sills are different.

"The commercial built Jetski / jonboat trailer is the way to go hands down if you ask me." I am leaning that way as well. Loading and unloading is much easier with arthritic shoulders and a on again/off again back.

John

Comment

Hands down I guess it's apples and oranges depending on your situation my yak is too long for a JetSki single trailer.The Jon boat trailer maybe if I can find one at the right price.

Comment

How long is your yak? Mine is 14.I'll post photos in the next day or so.
                              Don Haller
                              Chesapeake Beach, MD
                              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Trident 15 It is only 1.5 feet more.It seems like all the jet ski trailers I saw would still need main beam extension.Any pics you can post would great !Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                X