We need some Flags Made Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flags?

Where are we on this issue- did we decide to get some as Maryland Kayak Fishing or are we each on our own to setup our flag?

What are you using to hold your flag? I see that the viz a pole light setup seems popular but at $89.00 at ACK it seems pretty pricey.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

the lady hasnt got back to me. she makes them using solas tape for reflection and are very reasonably priced
      sigpic

Comment

It is worth the $89.00. Of course that is if one has the money. The light is nice to have. Sooner or later you will want to do some night fishing. I have the older pole, with the PVC type pole. The newer ones are even thinner. You should have a light. There will be times when you get caught out after dark. Famous last thoughts, as that 40ft crusier is bearing down on you, I wish I had a light on this kayak.

Scotty also makes a light pole that you can attach a flag. You can also use an old fishing rod blank. However, in any event, you should have some type of white light.

Comment

$89 isn't a lot of money when you need a light to save your life

Comment

I have the visipole carbon (it was a gift) and it's awesome. I think if I had seen it in person I would have been more likely to buy one myself. The whole thing folds down into the pouch which is also the flag. It's much brighter and more reliable than my $10 dive light that started acting up on me last year at the end of the season. It would be cool to have some MKF flags made up though, has anyone reached out to visipole to see if it's an option to get our own flags made for their product?
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

These fit very nicely into 1" PVC tubing, made my light for under 12 bucks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

GB

Comment

Grady, that's the dive light I was talking about (I think I posted about it on here last year?). Not sure if mine got wet or something but it started acting up on me at the end of the season last year. I guess for $10 I should be happy with a whole season of it. I'll probably remake it with the same light agian.

Comment

I know, that was one of the best DIY kayaking tips I ran ever saw, thanks.

Mine & Mytmouse's are still working like a charm..

GB

Comment

I have several older fishing rods that I don't use much- how did you fasten the light? Did you cut a short piece of PVC and attach it to a rod or did you use a four foot section of PVC?

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      I have several older fishing rods that I don't use much- how did you fasten the light? Did you cut a short piece of PVC and attach it to a rod or did you use a four foot section of PVC?
                      Four foot section of PVC..

Comment

4 ft section of PVC worked for me too. Add some reflective tape and zip tie a flag on and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          4 ft section of PVC worked for me too. Add some reflective tape and zip tie a flag on and you're good to go.
                          I was thinking of duplicating the commercially available viz pole with a DIY and ordered the light featured on this blog yesterday- my idea was to pretty much copy what is out there but assemble it myself. The 4 foot PVC seems a lot faster, less effort and still works...It may not be as pretty but it is definitely functional-

Comment

Quick and cheap! There is a picture or thread on here of mine somewhere.

Comment

i have a river rock lantern from target on PVC, but have never used it. i do have a small light that i got from KFS that is about 18" high behind me and headlamp/flashlight that i carry in case i get caught up fishing later than planned for a bit. to be honest, as a boater in the bay as well, i rarely notice flags on the kayak. the first thing i see is the person (hopefully with bright lifevest) floating on a log looking thing..lol. BUT, if youre ever caught in some high swells, it can defintely only help.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X