Kayak Trailer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
    Nope, I think the biggest threat is from trailer wheels throwing rocks but that's why they have fenders over the wheels. The biggest problem with kayak trailers is guys need to reduce the springs as they are too heavy. My old trailer for my 15 foot bounced hard on bumps and all. The new one is from a light 12' boat trailer with light springs and I can fly through rough areas with it. It just handles better with a light load.

You can't reduce the spring on a utility trailer, or it will be hard to haul other things. Heavy springs will literally throw unsecured things out of kayaks and turn storage boxes in to rattle cans on bumps.

Anything is possible though. Going to the airport 2 years ago a mini van hit a 2' 2x4 in front of me. Spun it up, hit just over the top of my grill, creased the hood on my truck, hit the windshield and over the top. That would have got a kayak on the roof or the racks too. Anything can happen, any time, any where.
    As Rob had mentioned, these are the racks I purchased from Tractor Supply and installed on my trailer. I did reverse the upright bars to make the rack wider and had to get a longer extension for the cross bars. I also shortened the upright bars and re welded them back on the supports. I will have to take some pictures and post up later.

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
      As Rob had mentioned, these are the racks I purchased from Tractor Supply and installed on my trailer. I did reverse the upright bars to make the rack wider and had to get a longer extension for the cross bars. I also shortened the upright bars and re welded them back on the supports. I will have to take some pictures and post up later.
      Reversing the bars is exactly what I was planning on doing as well to make it wider at the top. Was your trailer box 4' wide or larger? With the measurements shown on the link the top adjusts from 46.5" - 64"9. I would think on a 4' wide trailer It would fit even reversed.
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
        Reversing the bars is exactly what I was planning on doing as well to make it wider at the top. Was your trailer box 4' wide or larger? With the measurements shown on the link the top adjusts from 46.5" - 64"9. I would think on a 4' wide trailer It would fit even reversed.
        My trailer is a 5X8

Comment

Those truck ladder racks look like a great idea, especially if you need to haul more than 2 kayaks.

I do like the low height of my trailer. No heavy lifting after a day of paddling. The cross bars are pretty much at my knee/hip level.

Comment

We use the low racks when its just "us". We shuttle between ramps on the upper Potomac. Some times its just Greg and I. Some times there is 4 of us and that's when the upper racks come in handy.

I am actually considering adding another top rail to mine this summer after I get rid of the jon boat. That would make 4 lower rack positions and a flat top rail. Then I might have to use the wife's mini van for the shuttle trips.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. Once I get a trailer and get things together I'll post up some pics.
              I'm in no real hurry and decided to wait for a good craigslist deal. Just missed one last week on 4x6 carry on like tractor supply for $150. I knew that would go fast.

still undecided on galvanized or painted steel, 4x6 or 4x8 so what ever pops up on CL will decide that for me.

While waiting im putting together a trolling motor setup too.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X