Great site. Thanks.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Update, The Cabela battery arrived, it's a UB 12550! The box is from UB and is clearly marked. Cabela's is just putting their sticker on it!
      Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Funny that should happen to you. More and more store brands are becoming just renamed/reboxed OEM stuff. I found the same when I have bought fishing reels with the Basspro or Cabela's name and they turn out to be a brand name reel with a different paint job. Do me a favor if you have a scale, weigh it to see what it's actual weight is. Maybe UPG used a UB case but built the battery to a different specification.

My battery has been in transit for some time as the storms have been keeping it from getting here. Hopefully it will arrive before summer.

John
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Here is a picture of the box and battery. Cabelas must have a contract to supply with label and different color. Weight is same as specs listed here: http://upgi.com/Themes/leanandgreen/...oads/40740.pdf

image.jpgimage.jpg

The production date of the battery is 1401 which makes it January 2014, very fresh. Although cableas warranty is on date of purchase.
          Last edited by Buzzy.i.am; 03-06-2014, 09:26 PM.
          Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Now we will have to see if the extra 5 AH was worth the extra 8#.

John
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

The extra 8lbs should not effect the beer or sandwich displacement in my cooler. Thank god!
              Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

What a relief! Just think, you may have had to go back to paddling in order to keep the important stuff on board.

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Nice setup Buzz.

Have either of you went to get the kayak re4gistered with MVA and DNR yet?
                  I'm motorizing my outback and just wondering what all I need to do.
                  I'm assumming I need to register with MVA 1st to title it and pay the taxes and then go to DNR after?
                  Any idea what all I need to take to MVA? I have no reciept. I've heard on other sites that some states require pics of the yak.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I registered mine in Annapolis some time over the winter. I downloaded the form off the web page and brought it and my Statement of Origin document to DNR. On the Ocean Kayak, the last page in the book was the Statement of Origin. DNR takes that and the form and make a title and owner's card for you. I think it only cost me $2 to register it. Make sure you have your purchase receipt to show that you already paid taxes or they will assess the taxes at time of registration. It only took about 15 minutes to get it done.

You don't have to do anything with MVA unless you own a trailer. Then you have to register that with MVA just like a car.

If you don't have a Statement of Origin, then you have to make tracings of the hull number and take pictures.

John
                    Last edited by john from md; 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM. Reason: added more info
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Thanks. I bought mine in Jersey new but can't find the receipt or any kind of statement of origin in my packet.
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                        Thanks. I bought mine in Jersey new but can't find the receipt or any kind of statement of origin in my packet.
                        I guess you will need to call DNR and find out the process that you need to go through.

John
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Ready for a water test. Finished rigging the cuda with the trolling motor. Will have to get it registered but I am going to test it first. Here is the video of the finished product.
                          Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Real nice. It should work out well for you.

John
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

End of Summer update....I have used the canella All summer, I generally keep the motor on speed position two. I have been out as long as 7 hours with the motor running most of the time. Only once did the battery monitor not register full at the end of the day. I always come back back and the battery is Yardley depleted. The one day it did was after the hard rain, the patapsoco river was so igha and fast, even on max speed I could not get under the 895 bridge...should not have been in the river to begin with. Overall, this battery is perfectly fine for a yak with 30 lbs thrust motor.
                              Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

I have experienced the same thing with my battery. I was conservative in the beginning and only used 50% power max. However, I was coming home after 4 hours and the battery still showed 89% power! I have since been using 75% power for moving around (gives me 4 MPH) and 30% for trolling at 2mph. I do use burst of 100% to get across the river but it only gives me 1 mile an hour so isn't really worth it.

BTW, I have switched to a Motor Guide three bladed prop and am extremely happy with it. There is much less vibration than the MK props ( I tried several), there is more response at low speed and reverse is to kill for! I will never go back to the two bladed prop ever.

Regards,

John
                                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                                X