No announcement yet.

Jackson Cuda Troling Motor Rigging Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you guys using a freshwater motor in saltwater? Anyone have experience doing this? I'm contemplating buying a saltwater minn kota for 250 at bass pro.

Comment

I use a MK Endura 40 in the bay and have no problems with it. I did do some mods before using it though.

Since I had to shorten my shaft anyway, I did the mods at that time. Here's a list.

Sealed all the wires in the control head with liquid tape. (available at Home Depot)
      Replaced any nut, bolt or screw that was attracted to a magnet. (available at West Marine)
      Sealed the inside of the shaft with black RTV sealant. (available almost anywhere)
      Ran a skim coat of black RTV around the motor half joint and over the screw heads.
      Put a thin coat of waterproof teflon grease on the shaft. (available from West Marine)

My concern was keeping water out if I turtled, not having paint blister and peel. (since it isn't in the water more than 4 or 5 hours at a time, I don't think that is an issue) The only thing I couldn't seal was the rheostat that the handle turns. I didn't want to pump grease into it and find out it didn't work afterwards.

I rinse my motor off after every trip and have had no problems at all.

I highly recommend the Endura motors as they really extend battery life. I get 5 hours on the water using a minimum of 50% and max of 90% speed and the 35AH battery is still has 75 to 80% charge when I get off the water.

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks for the reply, John. How long have you been using the motor without issues?

Comment

One season on the kayak so far. But I was out quite a bit last year.

I do have years of experience using trolling motors on my boats. Even if the paint peeled and the motor housing got corroded, I never had a motor fail from a motor issue. I have had problems due to corroded battery clips and batteries going dead but nothing ever failed on my MK's. In my boats they tended to get more abuse than in the yak as they would get water over the bow when I was fighting to get home against the tide in a following wind. I never took them off the boat, just hosed them down. The yak motor gets removed and stored in the garage.

John
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I'm not so confident in my abilities to saltproof a freshwater motor as you have done. However, Minn kota does make the riptide with the digital maximizer feature. I may go that route instead. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

John, what make/model battery do you use? Thanks!

-Steve

Comment

I use a Universal Battery, UB12550 55AH. It weighs about 35 pounds and holds its charge well. I bought it off ebay from ecomelectronics for @ $96 and free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/usr/ecomelectron...p2047675.l2559
                I keep mine on a battery minder maintenance charger whenever it is not in use. From previous experience with trolling motor batteries, if you don't let them get below 50% capacity and you keep them on a good charger, you can get six years out of them easy.

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Ordered my Minn Kota Riptide! Now we need the weather to warm up...

John, any suggestions on battery placement? Is behind the seat too much weight for an ascend fs12t? Or should I test out putting it near the bow?

Comment

I have mine behind the seat and most others have placed it there also. Putting a heavy battery up front will cause issues in any kind of rough water. I only weigh 170 so the extra 80# (my estimate) doesn't bother the OC 13 at all. Isn't the shortest shaft you can get with a Riptide 36 Inches/

John
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Thanks, John. Yes, 36. Might have to customize. You did the same, right?

Comment

Yes. It is pretty easy. There is a video of a guy cutting down an earlier model MK motor shaft and it was very good info. I actually could have cut mine another four inches but I'll live with it. You only need a foot lower than the keel and it works fine. I used a dremel tool to cut my shaft but a fine toothed hack saw will probably work as well. Just make sure you tape the shaft so it doesn't splinter when cutting. Since I used a fresh water motor, I filled the shaft with Styrofoam pellets and then put RTV over the top for water proofing.

John
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

What model charger are you using? So many to choose from...

Comment

....... Ahh ........ Now I see what you were talking about at the M&G .......... Great job .........
                            Great seeing you and Scott at the M&G ......... Looks like we have a growing group at SSA

Comment

I use a battery tender Jr. on almost everything. I even charge my large RV batteries with it. I also have a Sears charger. Just get an automatic charge that that will cycle through the three charge stages. Bulk, float, and trickle. Also watch the amps and match the charger to your battery.
                              Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

I use a Battery Minder smart charger. Since these batteries tend to sit a good deal, the plates tend to sulfate even with a cheaper maintenance charger. The Battery Minder has a desulfation pulse that breaks up the sulfation making the batteries last longer. I average six to seven years out of my trolling motor batteries.

The 1510 is a small amperage model and won't work if you plan to draw the battery down to 50%, charge and fish the next day. For that, you need a 8 amp model which is more expensive @ $120. Other good chargers are CTEK and NOCO Genius, they run from $90 to $130 for 7-8 Amp chargers which will charge the battery overnight.

Regards,

John
                                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                                X