Paddle Clip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle Clip?

I have had my Tarpon 120 out three times and already I am finding things that need to be addressed. I fished the Key Bridge last Sunday and the action was pretty fast. I kept laying my paddle across my lap. The Tarpon has a bungee to hold the paddle but it takes two hands and this is nearly impossible when holding a rod in one hand that has a fish on it. Does anyone have any experience with the paddle clips I have been looking at? I notice most of the reviews say they work great but you need to be careful where you mount the clip so you don't drag your knuckles on it when paddling.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

I have this kind on my boats. They work well. The only problem is that it takes an extra couple of seconds to secure paddle vs the C- style clips. I rarely hit the paddle or my knuckles on this kind of clip. I still hold the paddle in my lap very often while fishing.
    IMG_4874.jpg
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

My old manta ray had a clip you could snap the paddle into that was pretty convenient. If you're hitting your knuckles on the gunwales you're doing something wrong. The real solution is to go hands free.... but in the meantime it was something like this

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...le-Holder.html
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

If you have gear tracks, take a look at the Cam-Lock paddle holder.

cam-lock paddle holder.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
          I have this kind on my boats. They work well. The only problem is that it takes an extra couple of seconds to secure paddle vs the C- style clips. I rarely hit the paddle or my knuckles on this kind of clip. I still hold the paddle in my lap very often while fishing.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]13027[/ATTACH]
          I second this one, I made one out of bungee and a couple pad-eyes on my tarpon 120. I still got some extra materials if you feel like travelling down to Chesapeake beach.

Comment

That looks like what I have on my Tarpon 120. It works well but I find myself laying my paddle across my lap. I think Romo is right. I bought this boat thinking I would be fishing the upper Susquehanna. So far my first 3 trips have been to Mariner Point, Broad Creek and the Key Bridge. Is it too early for me to buy a second peddle boat? My wife will kill me but she understands my addiction.

Comment

If your lap isn't satisfactory put a leash on the paddle and just let it float alongside. It should be leashed anyway so it doesn't accidentaly get away.

Comment

It's whatever you like personally and what fits your physical abilities. I like paddling more than pedaling. I never had a problem catching fish on a paddle kayak. I do 5 mile trips regularly, but if I was going farther than that I might consider getting a pedal kayak. I have a routine when I have a fish on hook. Paddle goes down first, the hooked pole comes up and I make sure I have him on the line good enough, then the second line gets reeled in to prevent the tangle/snag.

Comment

The secondary market should be flooded with "2nd gen" hobies in the coming months. In fact I might know of a revo 13 going up for sale...
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I'd go with a paddle leash and forgo the clips. I had clips on my SinK and they got in the way. I did hit the rear one with my hand occasionally, but more of a problem catching/tangling with fishing line; especially fly line. The bungie Runnin put up would be the best option is you go with a way to secure it to your kayak though.

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                    .... Is it too early for me to buy a second peddle boat? My wife will kill me but she understands my addiction.
                    It's never too soon to buy another kayak...if you go with a Hobie, get a 2014 or newer. The transducer pocket is great.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

The tarpon 120 already has the bungee paddle holder as he said. But I believe those have a hook to hold the bungee which aren't the easiest to pull off or on with one hand. You could always replace the hook holder with a round stud with a slight lip on it. I believe that's what my outback had on it.
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Outback has a machine screw that acts as the catch for the bungie, but it also on a raised piece of the hull.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

It's called a HOBIE EYELET POST. You can pick one up at byb or can order one online.
                          Was gonna post a pic but having a hard time copying and pasting with my new phone.
                          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Byb?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              Outback has a machine screw that acts as the catch for the bungie, but it also on a raised piece of the hull.
                              You are correct. I think I added the eyelet post after I got mine.
                              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X