Finally got my Rockfish!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my Rockfish!!!!

I went out about seven or eight times with no luck. I caught a lot of bluefish but that's not what I was going for. So this evening I caught the outgoing tide with no boats around. Usually I fish on the weekends when there's lots of boats on the severn River. With very little motorboats around the bite was heavy. I caught 8 to 10 small bluefish as shown in the picture small ones but still fun!! All of the blue fish were caught in the Severn River but something told me as the sun fell to go further out into the bay where there was a few deep drop-offs that I knew about and it paid off!! Although they were not keepers I got my first two rockfish trolling from a kayak!!!! It was the best feeling in the world!! I can't wait to land the big one in the next couple months!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Gotta cross the inaugural rock off the list, now you can concentrate on a keeper, then some bigger ones.

I still haven't managed to land a blue, and not for a lack of trying...apparently I suck at that.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Congrats! Gotta cross the inaugural rock off the list, now you can concentrate on a keeper, then some bigger ones.

I still haven't managed to land a blue, and not for a lack of trying...apparently I suck at that.
      Thanks Cowpokey and good luck with those blues.

Comment

Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
        Thanks Cowpokey and good luck with those blues.

I put a trailer treble hook on my jig and 4" paddle tail; because I kept getting short bites that would pull the plastic down to the hook bend. Almost immediately it was fish on, figured for sure I finally nailed a blue...only to pull in a short striper and the striper was only on the main hook, and the trailer hook as not in flesh.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          I put a trailer treble hook on my jig and 4" paddle tail; because I kept getting short bites that would pull the plastic down to the hook bend. Almost immediately it was fish on, figured for sure I finally nailed a blue...only to pull in a short striper and the striper was only on the main hook, and the trailer hook as not in flesh.
          Congrats! More to come. That's a serious set up on that rod!
          Cuda 14
          Big tuna

Comment

One of these days I'm going to catch some fish..again hopefully.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Congrats on the fish!!

Spoons and Rattle Traps have been a fav of mine recently. I was having a hell of a time with blues at first too. I found that I can get them in the yak easier by keeping them in the water right up to the side of the yak and then grabbing the leader with my hand and pulling them over the side. Once in the boat I have to step on them to keep them from flailing around though.

Comment

Congrats!! I caught my first Rockfish trolling the Severn earlier this year as well...and it WAS a GREAT feeling. That umbrella rig looks sweet. Was thinking of trying that myself.
                John D.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                GO RAVENS!!!
                GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Nice Catch!!!!
                  Maria
                  GO RAVENS!!!
                  D10 Ascend
                  http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

Yah baby, glad to see you so excited. You're getting lots of data points. That's the way to do it. With that kind of attitude and time on the water, you'll be dangerous over the fall season.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

I'm happy for you! I, too, caught my first rock in the Severn with help from John Veil (great couch). It was about 17 inches. But like Cowpokey, I have yet to land a big one that I can keep and eat. I'd even take a blue fish. I like your rig set up and will try that myself. Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.
                      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                      Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                        I'm happy for you! I, too, caught my first rock in the Severn with help from John Veil (great couch). It was about 17 inches. But like Cowpokey, I have yet to land a big one that I can keep and eat. I'd even take a blue fish. I like your rig set up and will try that myself. Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.
                        Hey now, I landed two keeper size rockfish one day...none since though.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Well, if you guys wanna catch some 20" blues, come on down to CB.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                            Well, if you guys wanna catch some 20" blues, come on down to CB.
                            When can we go?
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I go almost every night. Usually post here: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...sapeake-Beach) Probably tonight if I get home from work soon enough. I typically launch at 5 or 6pm and fish till around 7:30 or 8pm. On the weekends I fish all day.

Comment

Working...
                              X