New to Snagged LINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Snagged LINE

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. I am new to snagged line and relatively new to kayak fishing. I don't really have anyone that I go out with right now and hoping I may be able to find some people here that would let me tag along and learn the ropes. I am very interested in Bay/Ocean fishing but don't know a lot about it. I am also interested in freshwater when I don't have the time for a trip. I live in Prince William County, VA and have access to a private boat launch into the Occoquan River. Hope to meet some new people and learn a lot about kayak fishing here.

rdw, welcome!! great forum and a wealth of information!! njoy! tight lines and bent rods always!!

Comment

Welcome aboard. Good info and friendly folk here.

This is a list of some upcoming events...
      Sep 12-14 - CBKA Tournament - Hosted by MOC and the CBKA Staff
      Oct 11 - Meet & Greet, South River for Stripers - Hosted by Dogfish
      Nov 8 - Meet & Greet, Beverly Triton Park for Stripers - Hosted by SurfDog
      Dec 13 - Meet & Greet, Severn River for Stripers and Pickerel - Host by John Veil

Hope to see you on the water.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Welcome to the forum, you'll find what you need here. tight lines.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Welcome to the site!
          Mike

Comment

Are these event competitions? I am not at all ready for that. Just hoping to meet a few guys that might let me tag along and maybe impart some knowledge. Thanks again!

Comment

Welcome and I am out North VA would love to fish with you. This is only my second year of kayak fishing and learning the ropes has been the fun part. What type of kayak do you fish from?

Comment

I just sold my current boat and will be ordering a Thresher 140 this week, they get shipped in Oct I am told. I also have a few other boats but none of those are setup for fishing. My folks own a house on the Occoquan River right by the park so I keep the boat there. I have a trailer and want to start fishing the Bay and Ocean tho.

Comment

Sounds good and the Thesher looks like a Tarpon on roids... send me a pm if you want to hit the water.. I do all the local waters here potomac/occoquan/pohick and the bay right now since fishing is good there for the most part..

Comment

Fishing the Ocean and the bay require a lot of experience on the water, check out river fishing. Get some time and experience in before you attempt bay and ocean fishing. good time of year to get started, with the fall approaching their will be a lot of activity everywhere.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Welcome to the forum, I am in Lorton and fish the Wilson Bridge for catfish when I can't make a trip to the bay.

The CBKA is a tournament but is a low pressure event, lots of fun. The Meet & Greets are just for fun. A bunch of folks get together and fish a location then head to luch to catch up and share stories.

Hit me up when you want to go out.
                      Jim

Hobie Outback
                      TKAA member
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I have grown up on the Occoquan and fresh water fishing, not from a kayak until recently, but from shore and boat. Having my parents with property on the Occoquan I am at the point that I really lost interest in freshwater fishing unless I have nothing else. That is why I am hoping to move up to something with a little more fun then bass and cats. I still plan to fish the local waters all the time, but when I have a few days off I want to head out and do something a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by rdw930 View Post
                          I have grown up on the Occoquan and fresh water fishing, not from a kayak until recently, but from shore and boat. Having my parents with property on the Occoquan I am at the point that I really lost interest in freshwater fishing unless I have nothing else. That is why I am hoping to move up to something with a little more fun then bass and cats. I still plan to fish the local waters all the time, but when I have a few days off I want to head out and do something a little different.
                          Have you try fishing for SH? If you catch a 10+ lbs it can be quite fun

Comment

Originally posted by rdw930 View Post
                            Are these event competitions? I am not at all ready for that. Just hoping to meet a few guys that might let me tag along and maybe impart some knowledge. Thanks again!
                            No they are great opportunities to learn the ropes and meet some wonderfully helpful people.. The M&Gs are just forum members joining up to do some fishing and food. The CBKA is just a tad more serious but nothing a newcomer would feel uncomfortable at. Members of all skill levels are there. It is another great place to gain a wealth of knowledge and tips on kayak fishing and I would recommend that you go if you can manage it. There are quite a few launch locations in protected waters and it would be a great primer on salt water fishing.

Comment

Try the upper reaches of the Occoquan where it meets the dam discharge, what was ages ago the river I believe. Plenty of bass, rock and snake heads at your disposal. I have to go in to the government secure area to service the dam sluice gates in the next few weeks. This gives me access to excellent fishing right below the lower dam. Can't wait to get to work early.

Comment

Working...
                              X