Something different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
    We did that one time long ago with rockfish and it really was awesome. Let's forget fishing the CBKA and just hang out at the campsite and cook!
    Sounds delicious. You guys cook and I'll eat.

Mobile

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

just think, for years I was happy with fish on the grill. Still my favorite, but I have to admit, that reallllllyyyyyy looks good.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        One chip!?!? That's not enough.
        LOL!!! I’m told art is about simplicity…

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
        I also fell in love with ceviche when I visited Costa Rica many years ago, but my friend from Peru showed me how to make it and then I came up with my own recipe.

No tomatoes in mine (I thought only Mexican style had tomatoes?)...mine is basically just small, evenly cut pieces of very fresh fish, cilantro, red onion, some spices, and fresh squeezed lime juice. Although I have tried quite a few different fish, I find fresh rockfish to be just about the absolute best for ceviche. However, some people actually like to use tilapia, and most times that is what you will get if you order it in a restaurant. I find tilapia to have a slight iodine flavor or something odd like that.

-I have used croaker a few times actually a long time ago. Not the worst thing, but a little bit of iodine flavor like tilapia.
        Nice! curious what type of spices do you use?

So when we had it in Costa Rica, they had tomatoes in it at some places and other places no... so not sure which belongs to which specific country but I do like the tomato in it. The last place we ate it at had an amazing flavor. So as we're eating, the waiter comes by to check on us and I'm like "el ceviche es fenomenal! Tiene un sabor diferente...que es el secreto?" (my high school spanish all came back to me on that trip by the way! LOL). He tells me its ginger. He put ginger and garlic in a blender with a little water and adds that to the dressing. I did a variation of that with the ginger and man is it a knockout!
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          We did that one time long ago with rockfish and it really was awesome. Let's forget fishing the CBKA and just hang out at the campsite and cook!
          Last year Jeremy, Goody and Toyomo and I had a pre dinner meal after we came back from fishing. (Halal) Spicy Jumbo Hotlinks off the portable grill. I'm all about food! (so long as I can eat it that is... religious dietary practices and all )
          -Mustafa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
            just think, for years I was happy with fish on the grill. Still my favorite, but I have to admit, that reallllllyyyyyy looks good.
            LOL! Thanks bro!

But I also got you covered on that as well. Since the storm was coming in today I opted to do the second Rockfish on the grill, since roasting it Masgouf style takes some time. So I decided to debone it and put a great BBQ rub I got from Trader Joe's. Man it was tasty!! Usually when I debone a fish I still keep the spine and season it and grill it on the side. Then I just eat the meat off the bone... man oh man...

Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM.
            -Mustafa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

[QUOTE[/URL]

I slightly modified a recipe I learned in Costa Rica. No this one doesn't have Date Syrup, so I can't call it an Iraqi Rockfish Ceviche LOL! [/QUOTE]
              where do you get date syrup around these parts?

In Guatemala all the ceviche has tomatoes as well.....Dorado (mahi mahi) and Robalo (snook) are the favorite there....
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                where do you get date syrup around these parts?

In Guatemala all the ceviche has tomatoes as well.....Dorado (mahi mahi) and Robalo (snook) are the favorite there....
                You should be able to find it at a Middle Eastern Grocery store but not sure if there is one in your area... Amazon carries it through third party vendors but the shipping is steep.

Are you coming to CBKA? I can get you some, just have to make sure to remember
                -Mustafa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

nah.....my grandson's first birthday....I'll be at South River MG though
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                    LOL!!! I’m told art is about simplicity…

Nice! curious what type of spices do you use?

So when we had it in Costa Rica, they had tomatoes in it at some places and other places no... so not sure which belongs to which specific country but I do like the tomato in it. The last place we ate it at had an amazing flavor. So as we're eating, the waiter comes by to check on us and I'm like "el ceviche es fenomenal! Tiene un sabor diferente...que es el secreto?" (my high school spanish all came back to me on that trip by the way! LOL). He tells me its ginger. He put ginger and garlic in a blender with a little water and adds that to the dressing. I did a variation of that with the ginger and man is it a knockout!
                    Interesting. I absolutely love ginger, but never would have thought about using it in ceviche. I love eating sashimi grade tuna with ginger and soy/wasabi mix.

We stayed just north of Manuel Antonio on the pacific coast in Costa Rica and ate the ceviche at a couple places just outside the park (one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited in my life). Definitely no tomato and I think the fish they used was mostly likely mahi or something like that. I have actually never eaten it with tomato, though I do like tomatoes. My friend from Peru always had to have this stuff called ajinomoto, which is some type of flavor enhancer. They also use these extra large corn kernels and must serve it with Inca cola.

My 'secret' spices are usually different different varieties of the goya allspices that come in the little packets. I use that stuff all the time in my cooking, but I don't usually tell people about my little secret spices.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                      Interesting. I absolutely love ginger, but never would have thought about using it in ceviche. I love eating sashimi grade tuna with ginger and soy/wasabi mix.

We stayed just north of Manuel Antonio on the pacific coast in Costa Rica and ate the ceviche at a couple places just outside the park (one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited in my life). Definitely no tomato and I think the fish they used was mostly likely mahi or something like that. I have actually never eaten it with tomato, though I do like tomatoes. My friend from Peru always had to have this stuff called ajinomoto, which is some type of flavor enhancer. They also use these extra large corn kernels and must serve it with Inca cola.

My 'secret' spices are usually different different varieties of the goya allspices that come in the little packets. I use that stuff all the time in my cooking, but I don't usually tell people about my little secret spices.
                      Nice! We pretty much stayed in Arenal (in the central volcano range).

I never thought about using ginger as well but it turnout to be the awesome underlying flavor. For the Umami flavor, my secret ingredient is fish sauce (specifically Golden Boy brand). I put no other spices and the fish sauce carries it through!

We need to fish together to share more food secrets while on the water! LOL
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        nah.....my grandson's first birthday....I'll be at South River MG though

I am planning on making that one (hopefully) ... so if all works out, I'll remember to bring you some with me
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                        X