Got approved to purchase a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got approved to purchase a kayak

The boss (Wife) approved the purchase of a kayak, after much wheedling and a little deception (just a little).
    I had looked at just about every kayak under the sun and came down to either the Malibu Kayak's X-Factor or the FeelFree Moken 14. Both have extra room for my son to join me in the Yak. The Malibu has a seat molded into the front hatch for kids, while the FeelFree has a HUMONGOUS rear area for him to sit and chill. Both were right at the $1k mark after finding deals on both (normally they are $1200 range).

In the end I am deciding on the FeelFree Moken 14. That company just seems classy to me. I am buying it from Starr Moon paddle (http://www.starrkmoon.com/). I visited this guy in his shop and he is quality people.. he is selling kayaks he believes in and asking below MSRP. His shop is great, a little shack nestled on the side of a hill overlooking the Susquehanna river just over the Penn border. He has some cats and chickens (Actually Cocks) running around the place.. I highly recommend visiting him just for the experience.

I am really going to have to work on tipping over this beast.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Congrats Pat can't wait to see that on the water.

Comment

That whole turtle episode was just a ploy to get a bigger boat, eh? Congrats and enjoy!
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

That is agreat boat....what were you in before?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I've heard great things about Stark Moon. I think you made a good choice.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Congrats. Hope to see you soon on the water.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

Congrats! Let the fun begin!!!
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Pat,

Congrats on the purchase.

Of course your next hurdle will be permission from the boss to use it with great frequency.

Your justification for that should be that major investments of money should bear adequate returns and that it would be wasteful for the yak to sit idle.

Good luck to you on the water and with the boss.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Your justification for that should be that major investments of money should bear adequate returns and that it would be wasteful for the yak to sit idle.
                  That is great.. I will use that.

Kevin, prior to this I was a shore bound angler.

I am glad it worked out so that I can give my business to a great store, as opposed to having to go the internet route. I will always spend money locally if the price is 15% or so more.. above 15% and I usually have to go internet.

Comment

Yay, can't wait to see you on the water.
                    Maria
                    GO RAVENS!!!
                    D10 Ascend
                    http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

FWIW, my significant other justifies my time in my kayak as exercise. On some days it certainly is, on others I'm more just floating with the current but I won't mention that.

Comment

When it comes to our "entertainment" budget.. we look at the cost per hour. Cable TV has a real low cost per hour when you take the monthly bill and divide by the hours spent watching TV.

Computer games are another low cost per hour item.
                        Dining out is a real high cost per hour.

So... I will HAVE to take it out a lot, the more time I spend in it the lower the cost per hour becomes. The saving grace is that even though the initial cost is quite high ($1000), the hours I spend are cumulative over many years.. as opposed to something like a power boat (bass or walk around) where there are recurring charges to be considered.. gas, maintenance on the engines and electronics, docking fees, launch charges..etc.

At least this is my logic, I will be presenting to the boss.

Comment

Nice looking boat Pat.
                          Congratulations!
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

You budget like I do Pat. Except I try to include the cost of meals in with my activities. Taking into account the price of venison, rock, blues, etc.

Comment

That's Great! Congrats Pat! Hopefully your logic will fly and we'll see you more on the water!
                              -Mustafa
                              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                              X