Tautog info - for nerds like me :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whenican View Post
    ... They have teeth that can break shells, etc so dont let them bite you when removing the hook. ....
    Their teeth aren't sharp. I lip bigger ones like bass. My friends think I'm crazy.

Attached Files
    Last edited by gliebig; 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM.
    Native Slayer 12
    Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
      I've tied about 20 rigs this week. I can't wait to feel some tog chewage!
      Could you share some info on the tog rigs you tie? I've never fished for them, but I will need to tie some up before I give it a try.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Check out rob choi's blog website, all the info you need. My only change over his rig is to have two loops instead of one to cover two depths. And getting a double tog is awesome!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          Check out rob choi's blog website, all the info you need. My only change over his rig is to have two loops instead of one to cover two depths. And getting a double tog is awesome!
          Thanks! Found it.

http://www.angling-addict.com/2011/04/tautog-rig.html
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            The fastest way I've learned to tie the drop loops is using a peg baord idea someone down in Florida put on YouTube. It makes tying significantly easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUUDYYmBgU

I made my own ghetto version because I don't have the space for a fancy big one. Plus I was short on supplies around the house, but it fits my needs...

20140223_190733.jpg

Like Ryan, I use a double dropper loop
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              The fastest way I've learned to tie the drop loops is using a peg baord idea someone down in Florida put on YouTube. It makes tying significantly easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUUDYYmBgU

I made my own ghetto version because I don't have the space for a fancy big one. Plus I was short on supplies around the house, but it fits my needs...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14223[/ATTACH]

Like Ryan, I use a double dropper loop
              Cool. Do you tie single or double drop loops for tog? What size/shape hooks are you planning to use next weekend? Mono line, what #? The info on Rob's site is good, but always looking for more info.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Cool. Do you tie single or double drop loops for tog? What size/shape hooks are you planning to use next weekend? Mono line, what #? The info on Rob's site is good, but always looking for more info.
                I also do a double dropper loop. I put on 3/0 or 4/0 J-hooks or Octopus hooks. I'm using 30# test mono. You can go higher, but I'd rather the line break than something else...
                -Mustafa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I also do a double dropper loop. I put on 3/0 or 4/0 J-hooks or Octopus hooks. I'm using 30# test mono. You can go higher, but I'd rather the line break than something else...
                  Outstanding info right there!

I showed Cowgirl a picture of a Tautog...I thought she was going a bit overboard with excitement when asked if she ever ate it. She said it is Koreans absolute favorite fish for Sashimi. Then made me pull up pictures of them on the interwebs so she could show me the teeth and laugh.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I showed Cowgirl a picture of a Tautog...I thought she was going a bit overboard with excitement when asked if she ever ate it. She said it is Koreans absolute favorite fish for Sashimi. Then made me pull up pictures of them on the interwebs so she could show me the teeth and laugh.
                    Well played.. well played.. looks like you are going tog fishing :-)

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                      Well played.. well played.. looks like you are going tog fishing :-)
                      Not 100% yet, still have to wait on Cowkid1's work schedule...but she did not put Friday on her list of available days for this week.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

LOL!!! Now you're double hooked! 1) because it's going to be addictive when you first feel the "tap tap" and 2) It makes your wife happy!

Pretty soon, you're going to be the one setting up the trips and inviting us! LOL!!

On a side note, if you're going to use sand fleas, you can use a 1/0 or #1 J-hook
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

LOL!!! Now you're double hooked! 1) because it's going to be addictive when you first feel the "tap tap" and 2) It makes your wife happy!

Pretty soon, you're going to be the one setting up the trips and inviting us! LOL!!

On a side note, if you're going to use sand fleas, you can use a 1/0 or #1 J-hook
                          I asked her if I should go, and she said, "Sure!"

I've only been fishing the salt (here) for half a season, still have a lot to learn before that happens. lol

Are you planning on using sand fleas next trip?
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

I asked her if I should go, and she said, "Sure!"

I've only been fishing the salt (here) for half a season, still have a lot to learn before that happens. lol

Are you planning on using sand fleas next trip?
                            I don't think the bait shops are carrying them now... but I'm no expert. I'm going to stick with Blue crab and shrimp and buy some local crab bait... or catch some if I learn how

I'm definitely not an expert and always still learning. What I stated above are things I've learned from others and tried myself with success. But you don't have to be an expert to setup a trip and invite people to fish... no one says you have to know what you're doing! LOL Just bringing together good peeps is what it's about sometimes
                            -Mustafa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I haven't bought bait yet this year, but the local shops have live green crabs and I know a friend got some live sand fleas two weeks ago at All Tackle. It's getting tough to find live sand fleas in the surf so I wouldn't bank on launching and planning to gather your own fleas once your out. Both have been catching but I've done better on crab lately.

I use the same rig you linked. I opt for the single loop and use 50 - 60# mono. I've tried the double loop but it's never doubled my catch and I only caught fish on the bottom loop anyway. If anything I ran out of bait faster!

One difference to the rig I use is instead of attaching my weight directly to the main line of the rig (60#), immediately under my dropper loop for the hook I tie an overhead knot. I then take 20# mono and make an 8-10" loop in it with a double overhand knot and slip it through the overhand knot I made in the rig. My weight is then slipped on the 20# loop. That way when you get hung you can just break the weight off and not loose the entire rig. Just re-tie a loop of 20#, add a new weight, and your back in business. Most time you get snagged it's your weight stuck in a crevice and not your hook. I rarely loose rigs this way.
                              Brian

Comment

I'm addicted to togging, it's all I want to fish for now (that and Triggers). Its challenging, the water is cold, the bait stinks, you loose some rigs..but when they hit you know it! And oh man are they delicious! The inner wall at CHSP has been a blast this year, the outer wall was great for me early in the season, but its been too rough this fall whenever I've gone out.

I tie a slightly different rig than some of you but luckily there is more than one way to skin a cat...I use #40 fluoro about 36" in length, I then tie perfection loops at each end (one being larger to go around the sinker) Then about 12-16" up from the larger loop I put in a dropper loop. That is the basically the leader. I then use about 8"-12" of the same #40 with a perfection loop at one end and a uni-knot to a 2/0 Owner Super Mutu Light (I love these hooks, upper lip hook up EVERY SINGLE TIME). If I was deep wreck fishing I might use the 3/0 but these are perfect for the size I've been catching.

Bait for me has been both green crabs and live sand fleas for the Tog...I personally haven't had luck with shrimp, but MANY on here use it with great success.

I literally dream of a 8+ pounder with a giant white bottom lip and red marking on the fins at the inner wall....hopefully I get him at some point...
                                Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Working...
                                X