Tautog info - for nerds like me :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    I haven't bought bait yet this year, but the local shops have live green crabs and I know a friend got some live sand fleas two weeks ago at All Tackle. It's getting tough to find live sand fleas in the surf so I wouldn't bank on launching and planning to gather your own fleas once your out. Both have been catching but I've done better on crab lately.

I use the same rig you linked. I opt for the single loop and use 50 - 60# mono. I've tried the double loop but it's never doubled my catch and I only caught fish on the bottom loop anyway. If anything I ran out of bait faster!

One difference to the rig I use is instead of attaching my weight directly to the main line of the rig (60#), immediately under my dropper loop for the hook I tie an overhead knot. I then take 20# mono and make an 8-10" loop in it with a double overhand knot and slip it through the overhand knot I made in the rig. My weight is then slipped on the 20# loop. That way when you get hung you can just break the weight off and not loose the entire rig. Just re-tie a loop of 20#, add a new weight, and your back in business. Most time you get snagged it's your weight stuck in a crevice and not your hook. I rarely loose rigs this way.
    Awesome advice bro. Thanks!

I learned (I think from Rob Choi's blog) to tie an overhand knot above the sinker on the same line as a breaking point and I've had breaks there. But I like your idea of using weaker line to hold the weight and that way most/all of the rig is still intact. With what I'm currently doing, you end up with less line to put on a new sinker.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of a hybrid rig using lighter line for the sinker. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions....
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by coastal_dan View Post
        I'm addicted to togging, it's all I want to fish for now (that and Triggers). Its challenging, the water is cold, the bait stinks, you loose some rigs..but when they hit you know it! And oh man are they delicious! The inner wall at CHSP has been a blast this year, the outer wall was great for me early in the season, but its been too rough this fall whenever I've gone out.

I tie a slightly different rig than some of you but luckily there is more than one way to skin a cat...I use #40 fluoro about 36" in length, I then tie perfection loops at each end (one being larger to go around the sinker) Then about 12-16" up from the larger loop I put in a dropper loop. That is the basically the leader. I then use about 8"-12" of the same #40 with a perfection loop at one end and a uni-knot to a 2/0 Owner Super Mutu Light (I love these hooks, upper lip hook up EVERY SINGLE TIME). If I was deep wreck fishing I might use the 3/0 but these are perfect for the size I've been catching.

Bait for me has been both green crabs and live sand fleas for the Tog...I personally haven't had luck with shrimp, but MANY on here use it with great success.

I literally dream of a 8+ pounder with a giant white bottom lip and red marking on the fins at the inner wall....hopefully I get him at some point...
        So when you tie the hook you then loop it through the dropper loop on your leader?

Are there any benefits that you enjoy when you tie a perfection loop versus a surgeons loop?

I got introduced to the Owner Super Mutu Light hooks on a charter down in FL. They are awesome hooks and I bought some while there (FL Walmart is totally awesome! LOL). Didn't think about using them for Tog because the tip curves inward (thought it might pop out with a vertical hook set).

Thank for the info bro
        -Mustafa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
          So when you tie the hook you then loop it through the dropper loop on your leader?

Are there any benefits that you enjoy when you tie a perfection loop versus a surgeons loop?

I got introduced to the Owner Super Mutu Light hooks on a charter down in FL. They are awesome hooks and I bought some while there (FL Walmart is totally awesome! LOL). Didn't think about using them for Tog because the tip curves inward (thought it might pop out with a vertical hook set).

Thank for the info bro
          Yes, sorry forgot to write that final step, you then thread the hook through the loop and into the perfection loop on its own leader and it becomes a loop to loop connection. I have used the perfection loop for a long time and it just ties very quickly for me, the surgeons loop is also a very fast knot so its most likely just personal preference.

I read about an old timer switching over to using the Super Mutu Lights and ever since I've used them for croaker, flounder, drum...I guess I use them for everything with great success. I may try a double rig next year but I've liked using one hook for now...
          Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

I use a perfection for loop to loop leader to tippet connection fly fishing. The perfection is small and straight, both good for that application.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

According to the buoy info, water temps in the OC Inlet are ranging from 51 - 43 the last few days. It'll be interesting to see if there is an effect on the tog bite tomorrow.
              Brian

Comment

I'll be heading out next weekend...hopefully the temps don't go down too much...
                Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

This is all good info. I use single dropper with 50 lb test mono and 1/0 circle hooks.

Here's another good read from Mike. My next goal is to catch them jigging.

http://www.interstatekf.blogspot.com...l-bartgis.html
                  Hobie Outback
                  WS Tarpon
                  IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Originally posted by ILV2F5H View Post
                    Here's another good read from Mike. My next goal is to catch them jigging.

http://www.interstatekf.blogspot.com...l-bartgis.html
                    I saw Mike catch one jigging today... He caught more, but I saw that one and was impressed
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post
                      I saw Mike catch one jigging today... He caught more, but I saw that one and was impressed

That's something I really want to learn. The blog post was awesome and it definitely prepares you mentally.

Seeing it in person and trying it out is a totally different learning experience. I finally learned LTJ off a charter a couple weekends ago, even though I read about it in all different places, seeing someone do it and coaching you through it was priceless (well actually the charter had a price... LOL!)

I'm more of a see and do learner...
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

John Skinner (my hero LOL) has a nice video on it too http://youtu.be/v-VmXJLmnM8
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Here's more tog info... apparently they eat feathered blennys. Found this in one that I caught today.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Really ripped into some togs this weekend on a boat out of Delaware. Brought a buddy who had never been and he managed....1 fish.... so I got to catch 2 limits! Great avereage size in the 3-5 lb range and a 7.5 took the pool. I probably had about 30 fish for the day including a double header keeper that I thought was gonna be my first 10 lber. Lotta room on the boat to move around really got to pick through the fish. One of my best early season tog trips ever and a great warmup for the impending offshore world record hunt.

Last edited by Romo; 11-24-2014, 08:28 AM.
                            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Very Nice Ryan! Saturday and Sunday were beautiful days to fish.
                              Last edited by coastal_dan; 11-24-2014, 03:01 PM.
                              Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

Working...
                              X