Kent Narrows Fly & Light Tackle Striper Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent Narrows Fly & Light Tackle Striper Tournament

Picked this from another site. I highlighted an interesting element that should attract a couple of you guys...

However, coming from Virginia there's no way I can be at the Friday captain's meeting. I've contacted the organizers to see if it's mandatory or not and what the procedure would be in the morning. In any event, we should organize some guys to support this event and it's conservation cause. Who's up for an early June M&G? Take a look:

The annual Coastal Conservation Association Maryland (CCA MD)- Kent Narrows Fly & Light Tackle Striper Tournament will be held Saturday, June 4, with a new approach—a catch and release format.

The tourney will again feature three divisions—fly, light tackle, and kayak. Tournament boundaries are the Sassafras River to the north and Cedar Point to the south. Lines may go in at 5:30 a.m., and the deadline for photo weigh-in is 3:30 p.m. at The Jetty Restaurant at Kent Narrows.

“We have moved the tournament to a catch and release style to reflect CCA’s concern for conservation of the resource,” said Tony Friedrich, CCA MD executive director. “While participants may keep fish, judging will be based on a photo. We’ll issue all captains a CCA-approved ruler to use in the photo.”

Sponsors for this year’s tournament are Under Armour, Shore Tackle, Annapolis Boat Sales, and Kent Island Kayaks. Awards will be presented for the top three fish in each division, but an angler is eligible for only one award.

The per-angler registration cost is $40, which includes a one-year membership for those not already CCA members. All participants will receive a tournament shirt, and there will be free food and beer at The Jetty from 3-6 p.m. Registration can be made on the CCA MD website, www.ccamd.org.

A captains meeting is scheduled for Friday, June 3, at 5 p.m. at Shore Tackle on Kent Island, to discuss rules, distribute rulers and pass out tournament shirts.

For additional information contact, Tony Friedrich, 202-744-5013, or tony@ccamd.org.

It's the same thing as the Chesapeake tourny in September. I'm coming from Va also and meeting on Friday will not be feasible.

Comment

I'm in!!!
      Used to fish more.

Comment

just submitted the form from their site
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

im in. where are you going to fish from michael? we should have MKF show in force!

Comment

I think it is time to talk to Hemingways and/or the marina see if they will let us launch. I think fishing the bay bridge is the best shot for a fish that early in June.

Comment

Originally posted by eastonkayaker View Post
              I think it is time to talk to Hemingways and/or the marina see if they will let us launch. I think fishing the bay bridge is the best shot for a fish that early in June.
              Jonas Green Park may be another option, did catch that 25" striper last weekend but have to get back across the bay bridge to wiegh in. A Saturday in June that could take a while, with traffic.

Comment

More info... especially if you can't make the captains meeting:

You can register on line at www.ccamd.org . This year’s tournament will be catch and release and will necessitate a captain’s meeting to be held at Shore Tackle at 5:00 pm on Friday June 3. We will have hot dogs and hamburgers and liquid refreshments. During the meeting (brief) we will hand out rulers that must be used in qualifying photos for prizes as well as go over the rules. Please make every effort to attend this meeting. If you can’t attend give me a call and we will do everything possible to get the rulers to you. It will be possible to register for the tournament at this meeting. Any questions give me a call at 410-829-5771. Thanks. Ed Liccione

Comment

I haven't decided where I'll fish yet... Need to get back out there and find some fish! I'm planning on poking around some this weekend but I have to go to Richmond for the afternoon on Sat. I may hit PLO or the 301 bridge and see what's going on down there this weekend.
                  Used to fish more.

Comment

the north end of KI is open now and by the wall is c&r anyway

Comment

Found out that CCA MD is sending rulers to CCA NoVA so anyone going from Virginia won't need to attend the Friday night captain's meeting. I'll post details as soon as I find out how they will be distributed.

I'm signed up so will be there as well. Get my fishing fix AND free beer?!?!? Can't pass that up!

Comment

Now we just need to come up with a plan of attack... I'm seriously considering drifting heads at love point or hacketts with the rest of the chum brigada. Boring as hell and messy, but it would be cool to "win" something. I'll probably just end up jigging at the bridge and dodging boats.

Excited I don't have to go over there both days though! We'll see though, might be a good night for car camping.
                        Used to fish more.

Comment

will the bridge even be worth fishing next weekend? has it cleared up at all? I may be in as well.
                          Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I fished the eastern bay this morning, no fish around but the water was very clear compared to what it has been.

Has anyone checked with Hemmingways?

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                              Now we just need to come up with a plan of attack... I'm seriously considering drifting heads at love point or hacketts with the rest of the chum brigada. Boring as hell and messy, but it would be cool to "win" something...
                              Bait and wait, huh? Probably a good plan for the daytime. Would have to anchor up. Maybe get a couple guys together and send over some chum along with those heads.

It's a long paddle/peddle to the Love Point area where boaters chum. But I do see a ledge running from red #6 towards KI as opposed to the main river channel contour lines. That might be good on an outgoing tide. Seems like an easy distance to make from KN.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12272.shtml

Comment

Working...
                              X