No announcement yet.

Cold Water Immersion Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always good to know how well your gear actually works. Here's another cold water test -if you haven't seen it already.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgYP3Xrhdo

Seems like the real challenge on the water, beyond maintaining core temperature-is whether one can get back in the yak and get back to the launch/shore. I commend Alan for shining light on this subject. We loose people every year that are unprepared for the cold.
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I forgot this.

I tether my self to the kayak (from PFD to Seat). The way I fish in winter, I will be dead if I loose my kayak. I still tether the paddle even though I am sitting on a Hobie:

Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I've thought about that myself, tethering to the kayak. Sounds like a good plan with that thin tether that you have....in case you need to cut yourself free or something.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Thanks ComeOnFish for posting that video. You did very well to get back on the Kayak with all that gear on. I turtled unintentionally once in the summer and found it difficult to get back in with just shorts and a t-shirt. Yak kept on rolling over when I tried to re-enter. I made it on the 3rd try. Since then I have carried an inflatable paddle float that I can rig as an outrigger to give me some stability.

Comment

May Imask what are you wearing underneath? I know that depends on the temp, but in general.
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
              May Imask what are you wearing underneath? I know that depends on the temp, but in general.
              I'm wearing a baselayer of UA, and then another layer of smart wool, with a long sleeved t shirt on top. That was enough for warmth in the 40 F air temp.
              For pants I wore a baselayer of UA and a pair of polyester gym pants.

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Thanks, this is my first year at yak fishing, and somewhat hesitate on cold weather fishing, but want to give it a try this coming Sat for the meet and greet. Will take your suggestions to heart.
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
                  Thanks, this is my first year at yak fishing, and somewhat hesitate on cold weather fishing, but want to give it a try this coming Sat for the meet and greet. Will take your suggestions to heart.
                  If you feel uncomfortable, trust your gut. Stay close to the others. And don't fall in!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Took me three tries to get back in on my one and only turtle so far. I think more out of panicking a little and trying to get back in to fast. It was a bit choppy and windy and that didn't help matters but believe I was just trying a little to hard with the adrenaline boost. Had a two or three lines wrapped around me in a tangled mess. After the second try, took a little breather and tried to stay calm and a little more focused and then it went fairly easy. Water wasn't terribly cold, I think in the low sixties or so but I sure wanted to get back in that kayak quick anyway.

I could see it going horribly wrong real quick with real cold water added to the equation not to mention rough conditions mixed with a little panic. When you start hearing some of the numbers on how quickly muscle function drops in cold water it can give you pause. It's muscle you may need.

I really should get out in some rougher conditions to try re entry just and to test my gear. Haven't tried the wader/drytop setup yet. I'm not a safety nut but do try to stay aware of the full consequences of what I am getting myself into and hope others do the same.

I do leash myself to the kayak on particularly windy days as I have a certain fear of me going one way and the kayak another. It adds another thing to get tangled in but I do think it is a good idea. I keep at least a couple of knives handy one clipped on the kayak and one on my vest. It really is uncomfortable having things wrapped around you when you are in the water.

Comment

I really caution inexperienced kayakers in cold water. Every year we hear a bad story in the paper of someone taking on more than they could handle and it often ends in tragedy. Please take is slow. We had some guys at the CBKA tournament go in and fortunately the water was warm so the danger was much less.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                        Took me three tries to get back in on my one and only turtle so far. I think more out of panicking a little and trying to get back in to fast. It was a bit choppy and windy and that didn't help matters but believe I was just trying a little to hard with the adrenaline boost. Had a two or three lines wrapped around me in a tangled mess. After the second try, took a little breather and tried to stay calm and a little more focused and then it went fairly easy. Water wasn't terribly cold, I think in the low sixties or so but I sure wanted to get back in that kayak quick anyway.

I could see it going horribly wrong real quick with real cold water added to the equation not to mention rough conditions mixed with a little panic. When you start hearing some of the numbers on how quickly muscle function drops in cold water it can give you pause. It's muscle you may need.

I really should get out in some rougher conditions to try re entry just and to test my gear. Haven't tried the wader/drytop setup yet. I'm not a safety nut but do try to stay aware of the full consequences of what I am getting myself into and hope others do the same.

I do leash myself to the kayak on particularly windy days as I have a certain fear of me going one way and the kayak another. It adds another thing to get tangled in but I do think it is a good idea. I keep at least a couple of knives handy one clipped on the kayak and one on my vest. It really is uncomfortable having things wrapped around you when you are in the water.
                        DonV,
                        Thank you for mentioning wrapped lines and leashing a kayaker to a kayak. I have been emphasizing these for a long time for the windy days and strong current .

I found that the proper length of the tether line for kayaker is 8-9' in my experience. Here is my reasoning:
                        • The Average beam of kayak (30 - 35") * 2 = 60-70" <---- When the kayaker comes out to the other side of where line is connected to kayak while the kayak is still up right.
                        • The additional 24-36" depending on where the leash is connected to the kayaker and the kayak (I connected the leash to the right chest (PFD) and to right seat strap.

My leash is made of a 8' weed whacker line (16" coiled). I have snap links on the both ends for quick one hand release if needed.

Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-08-2014, 06:05 AM.
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Very interesting reading, especially the teacher. Never thought about that.
                          John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                            DonV,
                            Thank you for mentioning wrapped lines and leashing a kayaker to a kayak. I have been emphasizing these for a long time for the windy days and strong current .

I found that the proper length of the tether line for kayaker is 8-9' in my experience. Here is my reasoning:
                            • The Average beam of kayak (30 - 35") * 2 = 60-70" <---- When the kayaker comes out to the other side of where line is connected to kayak while the kayak is still up right.
                            • The additional 24-36" depending on where the leash is connected to the kayaker and the kayak (I connected the leash to the right chest (PFD) and to right seat strap.

My leash is made of a 8' weed whacker line (16" coiled). I have snap links on the both ends for quick one hand release if needed.

Joe
                            I think mine is right in that range or maybe a little longer. Same reasoning here. Didn't want to end up looking like Captain Ahab strapped to the side of a whale. Only thing I don't like about mine is all the line bouncing around on the kayak. May have to give the coiled line a try. Another option is to have it folded over back and forth and stuffed in a small tube. Kind of similar to a throw bag on a real small scale.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                              I think mine is right in that range or maybe a little longer. Same reasoning here. Didn't want to end up looking like Captain Ahab strapped to the side of a whale. Only thing I don't like about mine is all the line bouncing around on the kayak. May have to give the coiled line a try. Another option is to have it folded over back and forth and stuffed in a small tube. Kind of similar to a throw bag on a real small scale.
                              Could try a retractable dog leash. Sparky was using something like that for his anchor. I dont see why it wouldn't work here.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X