Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tactical Anglers Power Clips - What Size to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Anglers Power Clips - What Size to get?

Just started hearing of them recently and I think they will be just the ticket on the kayak as I hate changing up when out on the water.

Anybody using them?
    If so what size for a bucktail or lure in the 1-3 oz. range?

I'd like to keep the clip as small as possible and hope to be able to order just some of the 50lb. size as of now. Any thoughts on the size from anyone with some experience using them?

One other question, any local tackle shops have them?

I have never seen them locally around these parts but you can usually find them in NJ or NY shops. I think I bought some on in bulk on Amazon so maybe check there too.

What are you targeting? If you're just going for flounder (guessing by the bucktail) the 50lb clips are fine. If you're going for bigger fish (like large rockfish) they are fine as long as you're not fishing a heavy drag. I've used them for a few years now and I have not lost any fish, but I have had a few get mangled of the 50lbs. The next size up are pretty thick and can be tough to get on certain jigheads or plugs just as a heads up!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks. I think I'll give the 50s a shot and see if I find them adequate. Haven't managed to pull in that monster rock yet, most likely 50 will do what I need. My main concern was with getting some of the little larger bucktail or lures eyes on the 50.

Their website does say they have a new 75 size. Was you next size up you mention the 75 or 125?

Comment

Interesting, what is the benefit of these versus other designs? The basic swivel coming to mind
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Hmm I don't recall, but I can check one of the sample packages I have that came with all three sizes. I'll let you know.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I've always used the 50lb one for past couple of years with no problem. I like the smaller one. I usually order them on ebay. I saw that Dick's had it on the shelf once last year.

Mobile

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

I've used them from time to time but went away from them because of switching rods for different lures. I know that Dicks carries them in store and of course on line also

Comment

I find myself using the 50 and 75 lb models. The main reason I fluctuate is really due to the size of the eye of the lure I'm using. Some of the heavier bucktails I use, 2 1/2 oz, it's a chore getting the clip through the eye.

The main benefit that TA touts is that the clips are fast to switch out lures. A lot of the Northern shore pluggers love em because they can change out plugs quickly in the dark. Also they have a smaller profile than snap swivels.

Comment

I've never tried these but I do like speed clips. For those I know the larger size is usually needed to get a decent fit on a bigger jig head.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                    I find myself using the 50 and 75 lb models. The main reason I fluctuate is really due to the size of the eye of the lure I'm using. Some of the heavier bucktails I use, 2 1/2 oz, it's a chore getting the clip through the eye.

The main benefit that TA touts is that the clips are fast to switch out lures. A lot of the Northern shore pluggers love em because they can change out plugs quickly in the dark. Also they have a smaller profile than snap swivels.
                    That's exactly what I was wondering about, I pictured having a hard time with a bigger eye trying to catch the little bend on the smaller clip. I'll start with some 50 and go from there.

I saw them mentioned in a few John Skinner(a north shore plugger among other things) videos and he swears by them. The guy is a wealth of knowledge. Look him up on Youtube if you haven't seen him. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rce=opensearch

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Once again Snaggedline comes through. It's like my own personal fishing support desk.

If anyone else is interested in them, I found what seems to be the best price I could on Ebay for a 30 pack at $13.99.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/311213181141
                    Last edited by DonV; 01-03-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post

I saw them mentioned in a few John Skinner(a north shore plugger among other things) videos and he swears by them. The guy is a wealth of knowledge. Look him up on Youtube if you haven't seen him. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rce=opensearch
                      John Skinner is the man! My favorite youtube fishing instructor!

I've been using the 50lb for a year and a half and really like them. I can see larger lures being a pain so I'd recommend getting a pack one one size up as well.

Like Goody said, Dick's had them last year but I don't se them anymore. EBay has them at good prices and free shipping many times.
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I switched over to them maybe 2 years ago and haven't gone back. I not positive on the size, but I'm pretty sure I have 50 lb and 80 lb. I'd try 50 lb too for your application. The thicker metal of the larger sized TA clips sometimes just barely fits through the jig eye hole of smaller bucktails (1oz) and it will negatively effect the action of the jig because there isn't enough room for the jig to really swing on the TA clip. I mainly use the 80 lb for surf fishing with plugs or if I'm going for bigger stripers or reds.

Most of the local shops in OC carry various sizes if you're ever down this way.

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                        Interesting, what is the benefit of these versus other designs? The basic swivel coming to mind
                        The benefits are quick lure change, they are made from a stronger gauge metal then your standard snap swivel, you're not constantly opening, bending, and closing it like a standard snap swivel which eventually weakens it, and you don't have to worry about a fish popping it open like can happen on a standard swivel.

Although, I did have a small striper freakishly pop my lure off a TA clip once and then got hooked on the lip by the TA clip - one in a million shot!
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          Although, I did have a small striper freakishly pop my lure off a TA clip once and then got hooked on the lip by the TA clip - one in a million shot!
                          I remember that pic! Unbelievable!
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I apologize for my earlier post. It was not Dick's (I order so much crap) but here is an anglers clip with swivel attached from BPS

https://basspro.scene7.com/is/image/...d%5FThumbnail$

angling clip.jpg

Comment

I have used them for a couple of years now. I use 80lb mostly in New England for Taugs, and rougher conditions and 50 for everything else.
                              2015 Outback
                              2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X