Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tactical Anglers Power Clips - What Size to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the breakaway clips same as TA clips. I put them on lures, Bucktails and to clip sinkers on my bottom rigs. They work great but hard to clip tounge sinkers since they have a recessed eye.

GO RAVENS

Comment

Years ago, Redfish12 told me that I can use duo lock snaps. Since then I used duo lock snap for all my rigs.
      The reasons I use duo lock snaps over TAPC (Tactical Anglers Power Clips) is:

Duo lock snaps are much smaller than TAPC - This means duo lock snaps are stronger by design.

I use duo lock snaps directly to the jigs (from 1/16 OZ for speck, puppy drum, striper, and flounder) and any hard baits.

Especially for specks and puppy, I change the jig, soft lure, and hard baits very often until I find the right combo for the day. TAPC is too big for specks and puppy drums. I use 20# test duo lock snaps for speck, puppy, striper (under 28"), and flounder.

I use 50-60# test for bigger fish.

I buy my duo lock snaps from Dicks. There are two Eagle Claw models for 20# test, Eagle Claw and Lazer Sharp. Eagle Claw is stronger (I think it's size 2, $1.40 per pack) than Lazer Sharp. I lost about 5 stripers and specks (out of 100+) using Lazer Sharp 20# test duo lock snaps because the snap opened. But no fish were lost when using Eagle Claw (Size 2. I think size 2 is bigger than size 1 - it was strange). I connected Eagle Claw and Lazer Sharp and pulled them to opposite directions. Lazer Shrp opened first. Though Eagle claw size 2 is a little bigger and thicker.

For 60# test, at Dicks, I buy 60# test Tsunami duo lock swivel and remove the swivel part. Tsunami is strong and much smaller than TAPC, and cheaper.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-05-2015, 07:18 AM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
        TAPC is too big for specks and puppy drums.

I lost about 5 stripers and specks (out of 100+) using Lazer Sharp 20# test duo lock snaps because the snap opened.
        I'll have to disagree with the TA Clip being too big for specks and puppy drum. Most of the specks and reds I've caught I had TA clips on. As long as you're not using a TA clip that is too big for the lure eye hole and effecting the lures action negatively - the fish don't care what kind of snap/clip it is.

And to me, 5 out of 100 seems like too many lost fish to tackle failure and another reason I switched from duo locks to TA clips. If a knot I was tying failed 5 out of 100 times I'm pretty sure I'd figure out a better one to tie.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          I'll have to disagree with the TA Clip being too big for specks and puppy drum. Most of the specks and reds I've caught I had TA clips on. As long as you're not using a TA clip that is too big for the lure eye hole and effecting the lures action negatively - the fish don't care what kind of snap/clip it is.

And to me, 5 out of 100 seems like too many lost fish to tackle failure and another reason I switched from duo locks to TA clips. If a knot I was tying failed 5 out of 100 times I'm pretty sure I'd figure out a better one to tie.
          Most of the specks and reds I've caught I had TA clips on. - I am glad to see this statement. Because this, actually, concurs with my thought that specks and puppy don't really see the whole lure (rig). Now I can tell my friends who believes fish can see the additional tackles, and ties Fluorocarbon leader to the lure directly, that I can even use a bigger snap to connect to the lure.

One problem with TA clip was that years ago, I couldn't find a small clip that can be used on a "walk and Pop" crankbait. I couldn't put a TA clip to a loop inside of the mouth of a 3.5 " "walk and Pop" crankbait. The 50# test TA clip was just too long to put it through the loop inside of the mouth. It seems that There are smaller models are available nowadays. I still struggle even with a small duo lock snap for the small "walk and Pop" crankbait. So I addd a split ring to all my small "walk and Pop" crankbaits.

My friends who don't use any additional terminal tackles for specks, will still argue that the additional weight interferes with his finesse fishing.

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Joe,

i used TAC for the past few years. They are good for 100% of the applications I use in fresh and salt. The only issues I seen is sometimes, the lure will work it's self out of the clip. That happens when the clip has been bent and no longer tight as the original specs. I have only had the TAC fail on me once when the arm broke off. Must of been a big fish

They do work on walking the dog lures. I do it all the time. Yes it'll make the lure sink for the popper lures but if you use a medium rod it'll help a lot.

Comment

Been using the tactical angler clips for a few years, really like them. There is another product on the market that looks pretty similar that I will try sometime soon http://www.saltwateredge.com/Breakaway-Clips.html

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                Been using the tactical angler clips for a few years, really like them. There is another product on the market that looks pretty similar that I will try sometime soon http://www.saltwateredge.com/Breakaway-Clips.html
                Thanks for the link Chimo. These are almost identical, I'm surprised they don't have a lawsuit!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                  One problem with TA clip was that years ago, I couldn't find a small clip that can be used on a "walk and Pop" crankbait. I couldn't put a TA clip to a loop inside of the mouth of a 3.5 " "walk and Pop" crankbait. The 50# test TA clip was just too long to put it through the loop inside of the mouth. It seems that There are smaller models are available nowadays. I still struggle even with a small duo lock snap for the small "walk and Pop" crankbait. So I addd a split ring to all my small "walk and Pop" crankbaits.
                  I know what you mean. I haven't had any trouble using the clips with any of my light tackle walk and pop style topwaters, but some of my bigger surf plugging poppers have a deep popping surface and it's very difficult to get the clip, or even a duo lock, into the eye. I added split rings like you did and it's helped.
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X