No announcement yet.

Wader boots - insulated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is we use the kayaks for goose/duck hunting. We went out last Saturday starting at 7 degrees. I don't wear my jacket out as when paddling and setting up and the dry top with two fleece tops under it is warm enough. The problem is once hunting starts you go inactive. This is not like fishing where you are moving a lot and you have to sit still. You feel as if the temperature dropped 15 degrees 15 minutes after you settle down and stop moving around.

I brought blanket boots and had to use them over my wading boots to stay out, but they are a PITA as you have to take them off to get in the water. We are literally bundled up like heading in the artic as we have to lay still on the ground or in the kayak.

I am easily walking in waist deep water setting up decoys, so I am not sure those NRS boots will help. Plus we are in the Upper Potomac and there are lots of rough rocks, sticks and even some WVA junk scrap laying around. I think a regular boot might be required.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

You mentioned you did well with your insulated neoprene waders. I have been experimenting with wearing a wicking sock, then a wool sock, then a pair of neoprene socks (all this is inside of the feet in my Kokatat Paddle Pants). My wader boots are two sizes larger than my normal size to accommodate all the extra bulk. The other thing I have found that helps is to make sure I have extra layers on my legs (even if it feels like overkill) as that seems to keep the extremities warmer. Once those wader boots get wet, if you have any breeze, they do act like an air conditioner.

I think the bottom line is that you and Greg need to spoon more than you already do when you are out blasting ducks!
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by baldkayaker View Post
        I ordered a pair of NRS Boundary Water boots to wear over my drysuit. I'm hoping these combined with a liner sock - chemical toe warmer - insulating sock (current favorite is called "Heat Holder") been using that combo with neoprene booties but they were a tad tight so I ordered the boots 2 sizes bigger to give me some extra room. I'll post once I've had a chance to test them out.
        I use these boots over my kokatat suit and I'm pretty happy with them so far. I bought 2 sizes larger as well and I'm glad I did.
        John D.
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        GO RAVENS!!!
        GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
          I think the bottom line is that you and Greg need to spoon more than you already do when you are out blasting ducks!
          I tried but he keeps pushing me away. I was not with Greg this last trip, but with Ted, which you might meet at the Susque trip in his outback.

I had wicking socks, wool and wigwams on my feel and the cold was still getting in. 7 degrees sucks and I am sure most of you all stayed in that day.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I was out fishing on Saturday and I purposely made sure my boots did not get wet (which seems to make a huge difference). Have you tried those 8 hour chemical heat packs? Trapping them between a layer of socks around the ankles might make a world of difference.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
            X