No announcement yet.

Kayak Shark Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the time of year and location, I would say it was most likely a hammerhead, Bob- When King fishing off the NC piers in late May and early June most of the times we got spooled on 30# tackle was by big hammerheads- they ate baits and would have multiple float rigs hanging out of their mouths- we had one that stayed around the Outer Banks pier that we nicknamed the Lunchtime express- about a 1000 pound hammerhead that would clear the end of the pier and just swim off after eating all the float rigs and pin rigs we had out for Cobia and Kings- most of us were smart enough to try to get the rigs in if we saw him in time- and a hammer can make a reel scream like a king hit then settle down to a run away Greyhound bus until it gets to the bottom of the spool- it is funny to see ten or so anglers all hooked up to the same fish- all being spooled...as long as it isn't you.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Check out this video i just found..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej_UR...layer_embedded

Yakass sharking it up... I think I'm rethinking this whole wanted to catch a shark thing... I'll at least wait till I'm 60, then I can say I lived a decent life if one eats me lol
      Last edited by CB kayak 02; 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

i would just bring it to the boat, snap a pic, and let it go with with some new trendy jewelry..lol
        sigpic

Comment

i was fishing on a head boat out of palm isle fla. just having fun with some bonitas and the bull sharks found us and started eating our fish, i saw a big one about 8' heading to my fish so i dropped it back and let him eat it. well he took off stripping line on the 30# class penn and i couldnt do a thing to stop it, coludnt turn it almost spooled me before i broke him off. the mate said that it weighed around 400#s

Comment

Bull is a very common inshore shark and very aggressive. They can live in fresh water and are the Lake Nicarigan shark. Bulls are known man eaters and are common in Chesapeake Bay- most are in the 200-300 pound range...a 400 pounder is a formidable Bull Shark. Sharks have very large livers and they take up a lot of space...most folks over estimate the weight of sharks by a big margin because of their considerable bulk, but the liver is light substituting for a swim bladder to give sharks neutral bouyancy.

Comment

yeah he was a big one, ate a hole 2' bonito. i couldnt believe that it didnt bite through the line right off but got to about 7 wraps on the spool before breaking off. i've caught makos and thrashers but this bull shark had them beat power wise hands down. wish i had a good belt or hooki to fight it with it would have been less painful.

Comment

The bite isn't what broke you off- the bite of a full grown adult Bull is incredible powerful- it had the hook in the corner of its mouth or you would never have hooked it- the bite is so powerful it can cut through 1/16 stainless steel cable- what broke you off is the skin (denticles) rubbing your line- fraying it until it broke-

Comment

yeah thats what i thought. sucked reeling in a whole spool of line. there was a honeymoon couple from canada fishing and when the bride saw all the sharks in the water she freaked out and wouldnt come out of the cabin untill we docked LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X