No announcement yet.

July 11, 2015 Meet & Greet at Lowes Wharf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was not planning on a convoy since I might get over to Lowes a little earlier so that I would meet Coop and be ready to meet everyone at the launch. With that being said, if anyone wants to meet at the Wawa and follow me to Lowes. That is not a problem. I plan on leaving the Wawa on Route 50, just before the Bay Bridge at 4:15am. I need to have myself situated so that I can help Coop make sure that everyone park their vehicles in the correct location, not directly in the restaurant parking lot. Since there will be a lot of us, we do not want to take up the parking spaces for the restaurant and the people paying to sleep in the rooms there.

The ramp is owned by the restaurant, and there is a sign that says you have to pay $5 to launch. Fortunately, Coop1486 has known the owner for a long time and worked out that we kayakers can launch there for free since we visit the owner's restaurant. Since we are launching early in the morning, please try to be quiet and keep the noise down, so that we do not disturb the patrons who overnight for the weekend at the restaurant's motel.

Comment

That's a little earlier than I was planning. I'll see you at the launch.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

See you at the launch... that is why I was not thinking of a convoy....LOL. I knew it might be too early, especially since we are not launching until 6:30- 7 am.

Comment

What rigs to bring for a person unfamiliar with the area? Well, I agree with what Mark posted earlier in this thread. You can choose to use artificial lures or bottom fish with cut/live bait such as bloodworms (but I prefer fishbites), fresh shrimp and squid on a top and bottom rig. You may catch croakers, perch, and spot if they are in. The jig head and spinners will probably get you rockfish, perch and cow nose rays. Here are some pictures of some of the bait/lures that you could bring.

If you have a VHF radio to stay in touch, you can tune yours to channel 68 to keep in touch with other Snaggedline members.
          Attached Files

Comment

Moc- gonna have to cancel due to family committments
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Moc,

Count me in for fishing, no to lunch. Excited to see and meet everyone, sounds like a good time. My last M&G was 3 years ago I think.
              Last edited by jsnyd86; 07-09-2015, 09:40 AM.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

Thanks to Moc and Mark for posting what to have. I was a little unsure on what exactly I'd need. One question I have is.

CNR, never caught one before but I read they have stingers. How are those managed at the boat? I'm guessing I'll be cutting the line?
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

I am hoping to be there, it will require me leaving my house at 4am or so, but I got approval from the wife, which is the biggest hurdle. This will be my maiden voyage for the season.. I hope I can find everything I need.
                  People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                    Moc,

Count me in for fishing, no to lunch. Excited to see and meet everyone, sounds like a good time. My last M&G was 3 years ago I think.
                    You are over due for one...

Comment

Thanks to Moc and Mark for posting what to have. I was a little unsure on what exactly I'd need. One question I have is.

CNR, never caught one before but I read they have stingers. How are those managed at the boat? I'm guessing I'll be cutting the line?
                      The last one that I caught, not on purpose, I had to cut my line. Sometimes they will break your leader and get away on their own. They will give you a strong fight. I have seen some yakers, pull them towards shore, beach their yak and pull the ray onshore to measure and release it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                        I am hoping to be there, it will require me leaving my house at 4am or so, but I got approval from the wife, which is the biggest hurdle. This will be my maiden voyage for the season.. I hope I can find everything I need.
                        I will be leaving at that time too... see you there.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          Moc- gonna have to cancel due to family committments
                          Sorry to hear that, I will miss you there pulling in the big fish.

Comment

Just to help out with where to park, I found this picture from Coop1486 that was posted on the July 2014 Meet and Greet. The areas t park away from the restaurant are marked. If you park past the ramp, then you have gone too far. Avoid parking past the ramp.
                            Lowes Wharf Parking lot.jpg

Comment

I don't bring rays to the boat. I used to but got soaked in the process and lost a lot of fishing time getting them boat-side. I never got my lures back anyway. Instead I now point my rod directly at the ray so that there is no bend in the rod. I hold the drag (my spool) so there is no release of line. The ray will break my line fairly fast either at the lure or at the junction of my leader and line. This method saves line and time.

The good news is that rays have been scarce to non-existent in my recent outings in the Severn and Whitehall Bay. I haven't been near Poplar for over a week so I don't know if they are there. But I wonder if the deluge of fresh water from our rains have chased the rays south?

Good luck on your outing.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Here is the current list of everyone who is going as far as I know...we have 23 scheduled to attend and maybe more....

Coop1486 (lunch)
                                MOC (lunch)
                                MrJB00G13 (lunch)
                                Cowpokey (lunch)
                                Pat Smith (lunch)
                                Ken Kayak (lunch)
                                YakCapn (lunch)
                                Echo5oscar (lunch)
                                DonV
                                22Tango (lunch)
                                Yak67 (lunch)
                                FishingGeek (lunch)
                                MedicYaker (lunch)
                                Fast Eddie (lunch)
                                Bohunr (lunch)
                                Goody (Tentative) (lunch)
                                Dimo (lunch)
                                Plastic Boat
                                Jsnyd86
                                DaddyG (lunch)
                                yakken121212 (lunch)
                                Pc4sun (lunch)
                                Shield

The weather is still looking good with low 6 mph winds 85 degrees. With the low winds, this will be a good Meet and Greet for those that have never been to one, or are new to kayaking. Fish the shorelines, bottom fish in the deeper channels or just troll for a hook up....

Do not forget to bring a lure, artificial bait, or fishing related item for the bucket of lures (this is not mandatory and is just for fun). There will also be a prize for the largest fish landed and measured via your camera. Your lures will be collected at lunch time and the prizes will be given out at lunch. You must be present to win.

As for those of you with marine radios, we will be on channel 68, unless anyone has any objections.
                                Last edited by moc; 07-10-2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X