Need help understanding my depth finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding my depth finder

I need help understand what I'm ready on my ff.meaning what do I look for when I'm looking for stripers.thanks for help pictures would be helpful also

Im trying to find a youtube video that will describe it better. It's very hard to teach over text. Basically, the fish finder emits a cone down to the bottom. point of the cone at your boat, spreading out until it hits the bottom. what enters the leading edge of the cone shows up at the right edge of your screen as the sounder returns it's findings. what scrolls towards the left is just the immediate history of what that cone has interpreted. Fish are large upside down Nike swooshes, Striper are USUALLY just off the bottom. Bait balls are cloud type images. Those can be anywhere in the water column. I would recommend not using it to identify fish unless you're fishing deeper than 10'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0jHJj4__o
    Ignore the section about what he's using. That fish finder works the same as any other. Hope the link works and this helps a bit.
    Last edited by jsnyd86; 08-28-2015, 11:01 AM.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
      I need help understand what I'm ready on my ff.meaning what do I look for when I'm looking for stripers.thanks for help pictures would be helpful also
      Which FF are you using?

On a "down" imaging screen it will be a white ball, on traditional sonar there will be an "arch".
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I use a lowerance elite 4 hdi chirp

Comment

I've been using Elite series HDI units since last spring, so this is how I would interpret what's on the screen, If I were on the bay.

Here's a stock image I found for your unit.

These are fish big enough to bite a hook, I would expect them to be striper if there's an "arch" on the screen. Those are arches on the left side "traditional" sonar.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Humminbird-just-before-fat-fatty-hit.jpg

stripers working bait ball. (copyright 2015)

Comment

I have the Elite 3x. I would like to target Flounder in the next couple of weeks. Will flounder show up on the FF at all?
              -DannyG

WS Tarpon 100

Comment

DSCN0481.jpg This is Perch stacked up on Down scan elite 4 dsi
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsUp View Post
                  I have the Elite 3x. I would like to target Flounder in the next couple of weeks. Will flounder show up on the FF at all?
                  Not worth a darn. Flat fish don't have much of a swim bladder (air bladder), which is what traditional sonar sees. They are also right on the bottom, so very difficult to ever get them on a FF.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for the help.
                    -DannyG

WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                      Im trying to find a youtube video that will describe it better. It's very hard to teach over text. Basically, the fish finder emits a cone down to the bottom. point of the cone at your boat, spreading out until it hits the bottom. what enters the leading edge of the cone shows up at the right edge of your screen as the sounder returns it's findings. what scrolls towards the left is just the immediate history of what that cone has interpreted. Fish are large upside down Nike swooshes, Striper are USUALLY just off the bottom. Bait balls are cloud type images. Those can be anywhere in the water column. I would recommend not using it to identify fish unless you're fishing deeper than 10'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0jHJj4__o
                      Ignore the section about what he's using. That fish finder works the same as any other. Hope the link works and this helps a bit.
                      This was actually a very helpful little video
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I watch a decent amount of YouTube videos and Gene has some of the best how-to's for fishing bass. He's a bass resource employee of some kind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                          I watch a decent amount of YouTube videos and Gene has some of the best how-to's for fishing bass. He's a bass resource employee of some kind

I will definitely check out what else he has. Thanks
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

This thread has led me to question what I have been seeing on my FF. Fishing in Weems Creek tonight gave me the opportunity to ask for opinions / help as to what was on my very busy screen. What am I looking at?
                            IMG_0240.JPGIMG_0238.JPGIMG_0234.JPGIMG_0233.JPGIMG_0230.jpg
                            Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Just guessing. Maybe others have a better idea but it looks like you weren't moving so it's probably they same few fish

-Jon
                              Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                              X