Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideal Specs for spinning rod for big stripers ... from a newbe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get the penn fierce series Rod/reel combo in 3000 or 4000. Great quality, and if something happens you're not out $200. You really don't need expensive gear to go after stripers. Just my .02!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Just ordered the book that Alan wrote. Thank you Cowpokey for the suggestion!

Called Blu Haven and they do have some demos. Very far trek down there and they are not open weekends, but they said they can arrange something. Not sure if I will go down there, but thanks for the info.

David

Comment

Hello David, welcome. As a former New England surf fisherwoman myself, the one thing I had to get used to on the yak was to let the rod and reel do the work. With a fish as large as you are speaking of, it will drag your kayak around on a " sleigh ride" and thus adding to your reel's drag. You have way more control over the fish from a kayak than from shore and shouldn't need to muscle it as much. For myself, I spend more money on reels than the rods and use medium to medium heavy 7 footers; but I am "vertically challenged" and not as strong as many of the guys here and the added length is for torque. Get the 2016 Outback if you can, it has upgrades from the 2015. Anyway, welcome and tight lines!!!!!!
        2015 Outback
        2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Hi Kitkat,

Thanks for the info. I was on Block Island a couple of weeks ago and I could not pick up the Redskins game, only had the Patriots and Jets game up there. Would love to get the 2016 Outback ... but trying to get a deal on a used 2015. I see yours says "LE" ... is that the limited edition in Orange that I read about? If so, that is sweet!

David

Comment

Yes, it is. I got lucky and came into a little extra cash. I hope to see you on the water by spring. Perhaps you can make it to the meet and greeting luncheon not this, but the following Saturday. I have a similar commute but in the opposite direction. I may be able to provide you with some shortcuts to avoid the beltway. Come to the meet and greet.
            2015 Outback
            2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Hi ... I cant make the morning greet in 2 weeks, but good chance that I will come to the lunch. Will be great to meet everyone. The wife doesn't know yet, but I just bought one this afternoon :-) ... I bought a blue 2016 Hobie Outback today! :-) from Backyard Boats in Annapolis. It should come by the end of the month, I wanted the blue color. They did have a LE edition that was not spoken for (he said they have 5 allocated to them and 4 have been spoken for) ... but just too much money, but love the orange color!

Thanks all for the help everyone!

David

Comment

Now I have to go look at what upgrades they did to the 2016, congrats on the Outback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Congrats on the new 2016 Outback!!! As for rods/reels, stick with your existing LMB tackle and leave your expensive VS's on shore. You'll be fine for the fall and even if you hook into a 20lb fish there's not a lot of structure in the bay you have to contend with and you can land very large fish on very light tackle.
                  Used to fish more.

Comment

Welcome to the Hobie club/family. You are going to love it! See you at the M&G lunch.
                    2015 Outback
                    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X