No announcement yet.

Febraury Meet and Greet---Saturday 2/6/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I thought we would dodge all the obstacles for this Meet and Greet. Conowingo Dam is getting ready to enter spill conditions. Ice jams are getting ready to break up above the dam which explains the reason for the spill condition. At this time, no spill gates are open and the hotline stated they cannot predict when and how many gates will open in the future. This is different than the normal generation schedule, and can be hazardous. Swift water and debris mixed with cold water temps can jeopardize our safety. So, lets go with this:

The Meet and Greet is still has the green light according to plan and I will be calling the hotline religiously. Best case scenario, we have a beautiful day on the Susky launching out of Jean Roberts. Worst case....we will move the launch location to the North East River. I will provide a link and photos tomorrow if this is the route we have to take. If this is the case, we will be crossing over the I-95 bridge or the Hatem Bridge via Route 40...this requires an additional toll. Figure an additional 15-20 minutes for the commute. Shady might be fishing the North East River tomorrow and he will provide me with an on-the-water update.

I apologize for the confusion, this M&G is a tough one to schedule with lots of factors in play. My main concern is everyone's safety, we all have loved ones at home! I will be working tomorrow but if anyone has any questions or concerns PLEASE do not hesitate to call!! 443-655-9710. Again....the M&G is still on, location is yet to be determined. Lunch stays the same, Tidewater grille at 1:30pm. I will make a final decision by 5:30pm tomorrow. If anyone would like to back out, please let me know Thanks for everyone's patience.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised, I'm watching some rivers hitting flood stage tonight. Hopefully we will get lucky, if not then I get to learn another new place. Thanks for putting this together, I was hoping to do this last year, but as we all know 12" of ice nixed that.

Comment

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv?site_no=01578310

Currently at 114,000 cfs. That's really really a large amount of flow, and under those conditions debris and mud flood everything down stream. This is a bummer. I was trying to play it by ear to fish tomorrow or Sat, and tomorrow's out. It may be better Saturday. Keep an eye on the link. We want it below 80,000

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

location change for february meet and greet:

north east community park

At least one to three spill gates will be open this morning, no sense in waiting to the last minute to change locations. The meet and greet will take place at North East Community Park!! Unfortunately, this will add another 20 minutes to the commute. If you take Route 40 you will have to cross the Hatem Bridge....$8 toll, or $6 with ezpass. I believe crossing the Susquehanna via I-95 is slightly cheaper. Taking Route 1 and crossing the actual Conowingo Dam is the only way to avoid the tolls.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...759edb4dd7ec95

Lunch location and time will stay the same. We will still be eating at Tidewater Grille at 1:30pm. Please allow enough time for the drive from the launch to the restaurant location. To play it safe, I would be on the road by 1pm. North East is a small town with a main street that likes to bottleneck at the most inopportune times. I will try to send out PMs to all the members on the list.

Fishing tatics are the same for this location, just bring smaller weights...1/2-3/4oz. The water will be more shallow with the potential for catching green bass.
          Last edited by sparky1423; 02-05-2016, 05:42 AM.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

For Guys who are still interested in getting bait, Herbs Bait and Tackle is right on main street(Northeast). They open at 7am. I still plan to pick up enough bait to cover the guys who have requested it(just let me know if that changes- .) I plan to be at the park at 630.

Thanks Sparky for taking this on!

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Egriger View Post
                For Guys who are still interested in getting bait, Herbs Bait and Tackle is right on main street(Northeast). They open at 7am. I still plan to pick up enough bait to cover the guys who have requested it(just let me know if that changes- .) I plan to be at the park at 630.

Thanks Sparky for taking this on!

Ed
                Ed,
                Thanks, I'm still in.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                  location change for february meet and greet:

north east community park

Fishing tatics are the same for this location, just bring smaller weights...1/2-3/4oz. The water will be more shallow with the potential for catching green bass.
                  Any idea how the yellow perch fishing here is compared to Perryville?

Comment

Sparky

Many thanks for working hard to make this happen. My friend and i decided not to come. Just too long of a drive. Hope this is a big success for everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

• MEET AND GREET CANCELLED!!!!!

North east River is frozen. Can't say we didn't try
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

• Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                        MEET AND GREET CANCELLED!!!!!

North east River is frozen. Can't say we didn't try
                        Thanks for doing your best. At least this effort has given me enough information about what to watch for (water release and acceptable cfs), location, and gear to give it a shot myself when conditions are right. So tough to organize a group outing. I appreciate your effort. Maybe next year

Comment

• Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                          Ed,
                          Thanks, I'm still in.

Ted
                          Ed,
                          Looks like I'm out now. He's in, he's out, he's in

Thanks again for stepping up,

Ted

Comment

• If anyone is close to a computer today, would you be willing to send PMs to the attendance list. You can only PM five members at a time. It's not feasible for me on my mobile and I've good my hands full at work
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

• Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                              If anyone is close to a computer today, would you be willing to send PMs to the attendance list. You can only PM five members at a time. It's not feasible for me on my mobile and I've good my hands full at work
                              I'll do it. Take care,

Ted

Comment

• All, am not a Kayak fishermen but I was looking forward to seeing / meeting you guys tomorrow at Jean Roberts park. I too changed my mine fishing the susky based on the condition of our local streams and river. With that said, does anyone know if the NE river is high and muddy? If so, does it make sense to not travel so far and fish the same condition on the Gunpowder river launching out of Mariner Point Park?

Comment

Working...
                                X