No announcement yet.

March meet and greet...Potomac Blue Cats at Marshall Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At top or bottom of tides you can fish deep (60 feet even) with a bounce rig very effectively. High tide is 10:45 AM and that should work well. A bounce rig is a 5-6 oz bank sinker on a 16 inch drop line from a 3 way swivel, leader is about 28 inches long. You will need to float along always adjusting for depth and not get too much scope on the line.
    Perhaps the wind will be kind but I would not count on it.

Capt Mike

Comment

• So where does one get fresh mullet this time of year?
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

• Is Bryans's road MD 20616 the best address to do for GPS?
        I google mapped the trip and from Elkridge md it says a little over an hour. does that sound about right? Others have said 4 hours.

If people are talking about 50lb test and the like.. I am going to need to buy a bigger rod and reel. My current stuff is pretty light and will handle a 15lb or so fish, maybe. I have 20lb braid on it right now. What weight gear is everyone fishing with?
        People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
          Is Bryans's road MD 20616 the best address to do for GPS?
          I google mapped the trip and from Elkridge md it says a little over an hour. does that sound about right? Others have said 4 hours.

If people are talking about 50lb test and the like.. I am going to need to buy a bigger rod and reel. My current stuff is pretty light and will handle a 15lb or so fish, maybe. I have 20lb braid on it right now. What weight gear is everyone fishing with?
          That's it, should be able to see the ramp and parking lot in Google Earth. I'm in Glen Burnie and it's maybe a hour and fifteen.

Comment

• dont go by that I will be coming from Fairmont, WV to this M&G im probably the only one driving that far lol but I have my license and gear ready I intend to be there for the fun..

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
            Is Bryans's road MD 20616 the best address to do for GPS?

2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

• could someone send me the map picture in a pm It wont open on here for some reason?

Originally posted by captmikestarrett View Post
              Capt Mike here and you guys are going to have some fun. The area just south of the yellow in about 24 feet of water is where you will find me anchored on 80% of my catfish charters. I have no idea if a kayak will anchor in that deep of water but if can you will need at least 4oz of lead to hold the bottom. Standard big monster catfish rig is a baitrunner with 50lb braid and a soft tipped heavy rod. Fish finder rig with about 28 inches of 40 lb mono leader. The hook I use is a an 8/0 Gami wide gap circle with a slight offset. The offset is very important.
              Bait I prefer is fresh mullet as it stays on the hook best and has that sweet fish smell. Nothing smells like victory in the morning better than fresh mullet.

Have a blast guys.

Capt Mike
              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

• Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                So where does one get fresh mullet this time of year?
                DC Fishermans Warf on Maine Ave. The whole area is under construction but all the fish monger boats are still open. Scale and filet mullet then cut into large chunks.
                Make sure circle hook tip is not hidden in chunk and no scale on tip of hook.

Capt Mike

Comment

• okay guys will anyone be throwing a castnet to collect bait at any point and if so willing to share some live bait, that said, how big do the bait avg there this time of year should I bring my large bait bucket or small.. one is about a gallon the other is about 5 or so gallons.... I have my gear all spread out looks like with these snow days here I am going to make my storage more effective so this trip isn't a headache once I am there.. I figure I need a general bottom rig/ catfish box, a small jig box for bait fishing and some bucktails with paddletails... anything else you guys that know what to expect suggest please please comment
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

• I have a cast net I'm planning to toss around 8am hoping to collect some gizzard shad or white perch.

Although I might pick up some mullet at the DC wharf before heading home Friday.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

• I plan on bringing a cast net also. Here's a thought, could we all organize who buys what type of bait so we're not flooding one shop or a few people aren't buying tons of excess bait? Maybe 5 of us could buy some of that fresh mullet, 5 of us buy like 5containers of night crawlers a piece, 5 of us buy a couple pounds of frozen shrimp, 5 of us buy chicken liver, and then some other people can buy some other misc bait like hot dogs or whatever? Thoughts? Might be a way to save $ and not have a lot of bait end up in the trash at the end of the day. 90% of my suggestion is truly sincere, but 10% is due to me not wanting to drive into DC and have to deal with parking at that market and all that. Also, I might leave work a little early next week and see if I can catch any bluegill at the local reservoir and bring them for fresh cut bait as well.

Comment

• This all sounds great but let me add one little issue.. right now until PRFC gets in line with MD DNR regs white perch must be 6 inches to keep on the Potomac. If you cut it up it is not 6 inches anymore. So I would exclude white perch as a choice of bait until PRFC changes it later this year.
                        http://prfc.us/sports/BLUE%20SHEET-2013.pdf

Please note the sheet says 2015 and changes are due. But no announcement yet.

Capt Mike

Comment

• Thanks for the heads-up Capt Mike.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

• Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                            I plan on bringing a cast net also. Here's a thought, could we all organize who buys what type of bait so we're not flooding one shop or a few people aren't buying tons of excess bait? Maybe 5 of us could buy some of that fresh mullet, 5 of us buy like 5containers of night crawlers a piece, 5 of us buy a couple pounds of frozen shrimp, 5 of us buy chicken liver, and then some other people can buy some other misc bait like hot dogs or whatever? Thoughts? Might be a way to save $ and not have a lot of bait end up in the trash at the end of the day. 90% of my suggestion is truly sincere, but 10% is due to me not wanting to drive into DC and have to deal with parking at that market and all that. Also, I might leave work a little early next week and see if I can catch any bluegill at the local reservoir and bring them for fresh cut bait as well.
                            Good idea except, if you have been to one of our M&G activities before, you know guys kind of trickle in at various times making boat divying difficult.....once in the water, guys often share baits and lures. Since this is an anchor and fish situation, there is usually good communication on who is catching and you can paddle over and check it out

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

• Gotcha. I guess I will just bring whatever baits I can get my hands on and if I need to trade or something on the water, then so be it. Looking forward to my first M&G, should be a good time. Also, in regards to the larger blue cats caught from this area, do you guys usually release ones above 30"? I noticed on the MD consumption advisory it says to avoid eating these due to elevated PCBs.

Comment

• So u cant keep a 6" then cut it ...as long as you stay withing the daily creel limit? In WV once you catch a legal fish its yours to do with what you want? Just asking

Originally posted by captmikestarrett View Post
                                This all sounds great but let me add one little issue.. right now until PRFC gets in line with MD DNR regs white perch must be 6 inches to keep on the Potomac. If you cut it up it is not 6 inches anymore. So I would exclude white perch as a choice of bait until PRFC changes it later this year.
                                http://prfc.us/sports/BLUE%20SHEET-2013.pdf

Please note the sheet says 2015 and changes are due. But no announcement yet.

Capt Mike
                                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                                X