Tides vs Currents - What's the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonV View Post
    Thanks I really appreciate the offer and am dying to get back to the area and hope I can take you up on it.
    Had a whole week near the end of last September and the wind ran about 30 mph all week on the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean side was even worse. Two to three foot wind driven waves were running past Garagatha Landing. Wasn't quite the day to allay my fears but do have to say at the same time it was just so damn beautiful and I am hoping I can get the opportunity to fish it.
    I remember that week well. I was dying to go after red drum at the CBBT, but couldn't get out. I'll begin flounder fishing gargatha soon. They're catching a few flounder around there now, but it'll take another week or two of warm weather before it really opens up. So if you can get down before the fall, that would be the best time to target flounder and avoid the fall winds.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
      So here is my question, We have all this technology at our disposal today so how back in the late 50s early 60s did they know what we know today?
      Time on the water and personal experience. No better way to learn it! Technology, gizmos, and the internet can only get you so far.

Originally posted by DonV View Post
      When I mention trying to figure out the currents at Wachapreague it was with the intent of fishing some barrier island bays on trip to the VA Eastern shore. I did have a little trip planned at Gargatha and do believe I had gained enough intel to be safe but it was still worrisome. The weather ended up horrendous and I never did get out. I did do a good bit worrying and a lot of reading but still didn't feel very comfortable venturing out into those bays without having someone around with knowledge of the area.
      Like RavensD said, don't over think it; it's not that worrisome once you do it. If all else fails and you do find yourself working back against the current, hug a bank to stay out of the full force of the current and switch sides as the current and bends in the creek dictate. Gargatha and Wachapreague are both very doable against the current hugging the bank - I've done it before at both.

Knowing the time difference between the tide change and current change is important, but for me, I like knowing the coefficient the most. That way if I do get caught going against either, I'll know how much work I'll be in store for.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        Time on the water and personal experience. No better way to learn it! Technology, gizmos, and the internet can only get you so far.

Like RavensD said, don't over think it; it's not that worrisome once you do it. If all else fails and you do find yourself working back against the current, hug a bank to stay out of the full force of the current and switch sides as the current and bends in the creek dictate. Gargatha and Wachapreague are both very doable against the current hugging the bank - I've done it before at both.

Knowing the time difference between the tide change and current change is important, but for me, I like knowing the coefficient the most. That way if I do get caught going against either, I'll know how much work I'll be in store for.
        Really appreciate all the advice everyone though I do feel a little like I have hijacked the topic. I actually picked Gargatha as my first trip out in barrier island bays from reading and asking questions hear on SL. Had a good bit of local knowledge at my disposal gleaned from all the helpful and knowledgeable members here. Really appreciate the considered advice, caution and encouragement from everyone and believe me I still want to get out there. We were actually looking at vacation rentals in the area again last night.

Comment

Working...
        X