Hemingways info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemingways info

There's a lot of conflicting information on various posts. I have been working on this for a while, speaking with marina personnel and a manager at Hemingways. Here is what I've been told:

There really is no ramp at the marina. It looks like it on an aerial photo, but it's not really a ramp, it's sort of a boat drop in area and has lifting equipment in there. The entire area is sectioned off as well so that people stay out.

There is no one "owner" of Heminways. It's owned by a substantial real estate holdings company that actually owns the entire property, marina and all. I believe they acquired the property last year. This company has many properties all over the U.S.

I spoke with a manager at Heminways this past Sunday. Went in there with my 16yr old son, who was immediately asked if he would like to apply for a job, which he did and a manager interviewed him on the spot. Also a close friend of my son's already works there. I discussed launching with this manager and got permission, for myself, to launch there, however, it was apparent that he was not 100% comfortable in giving me permission. I also discussed the snagged line group and I believe there may be an opportunity to launch in the future. In my opinion, the issue is a little delicate. I do not recommend that a group of guys crash the place with a bunch of kayaks on their roof tops. I believe we need to schedule a group lunch/dinner and show our support for the business. I do know it's the managers call and the manager is focused on the business. I know there are at least two managers and they may not be on the same page. I believe we have an opportunity to develop a relationship with Hemingways and ultimately get the permission we seek.
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Good work, Jimbo. I think you got a good foot in the door. I agree in that we should support the restaurant.

Also, this being a sensitive subject that we don't want to loose the opportunity, I vote that we have one spokesman, and that's you. This will minimize confusion with the managers and establish an organized voice for working with them.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I agree with you guys that we should support the Restaurant and also park out of the way of their customers if given the opportunity of launching from the marina or Hemmingways. I just spoke to a kayaker tonight and he may have some interesting information to Maryland Kayak Fishing members. If we use the marina/Hemmingways, then maybe we should at least buy a beer after we get off the water at the outside bar and let it be known that we are members of MD Kayak Fishing.....

Comment

That launch is priceless to those who fish the east side of the bridge. As stated above, this is a delicate matter and we must cultivate a good relationship with the management. What about getting a group together from the forum and meeting there for happy hour sometime? That would give us the opportunity to meet the manager(s) and establish some rapport. Also, spending money there helps too.
        Chesapeake Fish and Beer

Comment

Spoke rob today we ARE allowed to launch at the marina but we may only use G dock. This was also confirmed through the dock master and I talked to jim at the yacht club we Can park there. If you see ROB one of the top mangers there thank him. He is now aware of mkf and again we DO have permission. I launched there this morning.

G dock
          Thanks to rob hemmingway manager
          Jim yacht club manager
          And dockmaster
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

thanks for looking into it jimbo.

that site was used by other groups as well, such as non fishing kayak groups and trail guides...i wonder what happened to them.

did they by chance tell you why they are reluctant to let people launch? are they aware that it has been used as a light craft launch area for years?
            sigpic

Comment

Good intel Pinch!

Has anyone got any info on "G" dock. such as exactly where it is? How far a drop to the water from the deck? Will it be possible to do solo launches easily? Will a cart be necessary?

Thanks!

Comment

thanks jimbo your the man for the job!

pinch, whats G dock like, is it low to the water? are they charging to use this dock? thanks for all the work guys.

if you have the queen anne county ramp sticker you can launch from matapeake and not pay the 10 bucks

Comment

Just answered one of my questions- see this link: http://www.baybridgemarina.com/map.php
                  for a map of the marina and the location of G dock.

Comment

G dock is a low dock. It is a 26" drop to water. Its not bad at all.
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

That's a 2 feet drop. I hope the Revo is stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                        Spoke rob today we ARE allowed to launch at the marina but we may only use G dock. This was also confirmed through the dock master and I talked to jim at the yacht club we Can park there. If you see ROB one of the top mangers there thank him. He is now aware of mkf and again we DO have permission. I launched there this morning.

G dock
                        Thanks to rob hemmingway manager
                        Jim yacht club manager
                        And dockmaster
                        haha...i think i saw you on 32 today around 6. i was heading over to annapolis and saw a blue car with 2 yaks on top.
                        Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

That was me lol
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Thanks for the verified info on Hemmingways. I am glad that you got to launch there. So, you did not have a problem with the 2 foot drop? What procedure did you use to get your yak to the dock and into the water and what method did you use to safely board your kayak?

Thanks for providing the names, and I think after fishing and putting the fish on ice we should have a Blue Moon at Hemmingways to show our appreciation...what do you think?

Comment

I can see getting the boat down the 26" drop by my self but getting it back up might cause an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X