No announcement yet.

Becoming a better Yaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys! And thanks for posting your experiences and lessons learned too.

CB Kayak,

If it's your friends that helped me, and when you see them in person, please give them my sincerest thanks. Just seeing them around when I was in the water and on the boat really put me at ease. Knowing they were ready to help gave me a sense of security that everything would turn out alright. I was really impressed with that fellow that jumped in the water and blew his whistle. Again, please tell them I appreciate their work!

Another tip:
    When we were trying to hold on to and upright the yak, the paddle was a real hindrance. Still attached to the leash, it got in the way as we tried to hang on to and position the yak. The rough water made it somewhat difficult to grab the paddle, pull the velcro off, loosen the noose, and pull the paddle out of the loop. I needed a quick release way of removing the leash. I now wrap the end around the bar once, then securely wrap/tighten the velcro. Strong enough to hold the paddle. For quick release, I grab the velcro tab, pull it, and the leash is free from the bar.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are safe. I got towed one time in a kayak. The Severn River Rod and Keg Club had a raft up near Jonas Green park that lasted until dark. I needed to get back to Weems Creek to my car. One of the other boaters in the raft up told me he would tow me. Rather than tie the tow rope onto my bow, I tied it to my paddle and held the paddle in front of me. This way, I had some flexibility in dropping one blade to use as a rudder or dropping the entire paddle if I got into trouble.

It was a calm warm evening. During the tow, the kayak did not track straight, but it zig-zagged. The boat driver kept his speed down to about 6 mph, and we made it back to the ramp with no problems.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Scary stuff. Glad you're OK.

Comment

Working...
        X