Fishfinder (Lowrance) Issue - Need Input Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder (Lowrance) Issue - Need Input Please

When I got my new Hobie Compass this year, I ordered a new Lowrance Hook5 and had the kind folks at Delaware Paddlesports install it for me. I figure they know exactly what they're doing as far as all that goes.

I'm having a few issues with it, and I'm hoping someone on SL that's had some experience with Lowrance units could help me. My previous kayak had a Humminbird, so I'm brand new to these.

Here are the problems:

1. Water temperature. I took the kayak out 3 weeks ago in the Magothy. The water temp was reading 77-78 degrees. I know that's at least 20+ degrees off.

I found a water temp calibration on the unit, but it only goes as far as +/- 9 degrees. So even if I put it at its most extreme setting, it still wouldn't be correct.

2. Trip. I had been pedaling for 2-3 hours, and looked at the trip and it said I'd been out for 5 minutes and gone like .25 miles. Now, the trails on the GPS plotter looked perfect - I could see where I'd traveled along the entire river. I figured maybe I'd reset something by accident, so I reset the trip again at that point. I then paddled for another few hours, and when I looked at the trip, the same issue arose - like 10 minutes and .4 miles.

I took my kayak out again last week, and this time I made sure all my connections to the Lowrance unit were solid. I read a bit online, and saw that bad connections could cause some of these problems. Still, even with good connections, the water temp still read 77-78 degrees, which was still 10-20 degrees off. The trip was still all screwy, telling me I'd been out for just a few minutes instead of a few hours, and gone less than a mile instead of 4-5.

It would be a huge pain in the butt to drag this thing back to DPS for them to check all the connections, the transponder, etc. so I wanted to get some input form the SnaggedLine community. Has anybody ever had issues like the ones I describe here?
    2018 Hobie Compass

I can’t help with the temp reading, but the following should help with the trip accuracy.....

Gps mileage instructions

Those of us with the Lowrance FF/Gps combos this is the basic set up'

hit the menu button twice
    go up to the setting menu
    go to trip calculator menu
    go to bottom of page and set threshold to 00mph (the threshold is preset at 5mph and only registers above 5mph) In a kayak you will never get any mileage reading unless you change this to 00 mph
    now go to top of page and reset trip
    now you are all set up to track your mileage

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Ravens Defense is on target with the instructions about adjusting the speed threshold. Each Lowrance model has its own set of menus. With some searching you should be able to find the right adjustment.

Concerning the temperature, one potential explanation is if you are using a through-hull transducer mount. In that type of installation, the transducer is attached on the inside of the hull and is never in direct contact with the water. Instead it measures the air temperature inside the hull cavity. If you are not using that type of mount, I am unable to offer any other suggestions.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
        I can’t help with the temp reading, but the following should help with the trip accuracy.....

Gps mileage instructions

Those of us with the Lowrance FF/Gps combos this is the basic set up'

hit the menu button twice
        go up to the setting menu
        go to trip calculator menu
        go to bottom of page and set threshold to 00mph (the threshold is preset at 5mph and only registers above 5mph) In a kayak you will never get any mileage reading unless you change this to 00 mph
        now go to top of page and reset trip
        now you are all set up to track your mileage
        Well now, this makes perfect sense. Will do. Thank you!
        2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
          Well now, this makes perfect sense. Will do. Thank you!
          You’re welcome. It drove me nuts the first few trips also.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Chris G. is the Navico (Lowrance) Pro Staff rep for the Mid Atlantic and he just happens to live in Pasadena which is a lot closer than Lewes De. He is a wealth of information on the Hook. First thing he will ask is: "did you make sure you're not running in simulator mode?" He helped me with my Hook 5 side scan when I asked him to look at my tri-ducer mount to see if it was set low enough to clear the hull and he said he was doubtful. I tried it and found I was not seeing pier poles right next to my kayak. So I made and added another shim as he sugggested and now I can see troughs and sand build up tracks from where outboards had run aground. I don't know how Chris feels about posting his contact info but I'm sure you can get to him through www.navico.com or I could sent you a PM with his number (if we can do that w/ this forum I'm a "newb") West Marine also could give you his number too.

Comment

I can't for the life of me find the setting. Anybody have a Hook-5 that can chime in? Based on the Manual (which is of course for ALL hook models), it should be under system. I can't imagine the 5 doesn't have this setting.
              2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by Slough Sleigher View Post
                Chris G. is the Navico (Lowrance) Pro Staff rep for the Mid Atlantic and he just happens to live in Pasadena which is a lot closer than Lewes De. He is a wealth of information on the Hook. First thing he will ask is: "did you make sure you're not running in simulator mode?" He helped me with my Hook 5 side scan when I asked him to look at my tri-ducer mount to see if it was set low enough to clear the hull and he said he was doubtful. I tried it and found I was not seeing pier poles right next to my kayak. So I made and added another shim as he sugggested and now I can see troughs and sand build up tracks from where outboards had run aground. I don't know how Chris feels about posting his contact info but I'm sure you can get to him through www.navico.com or I could sent you a PM with his number (if we can do that w/ this forum I'm a "newb") West Marine also could give you his number too.
                I'm in Pasadena. Perfect. If you could PM me his email or number or something, that would be awesome.
                2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Done!

Good luck!

Joe

Comment

It's not through-hull, but I suppose with the Hobie setup, (see photo) it's possible that water doesn't actually go in and touch the transducer.

Anybody with a Hobie setup like this have a similar problem?

lowrance.JPG
                    2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

I’ve never had an issue with water temp with my hook mounted that way.

Comment

I don’t see how it could get a water temp reading on the hobie setup with it being effectively inside the hull. The transducer plate keeps it from touching water...unless you have a threaded screw the doesn’t seal it just messing with you Doug. It hasn’t affected a thing on the yak and I could fix it if I wanted. I’m enjoying the Outback and I’m getting in better shape than with the trolling motor setup on my other yak (safer too).

On a side note, I had a very frustrating experience with my Hook 4 on Saturday. It somehow got set to night mode and it was a sunny day. I couldn’t see the screen to find the menu options to fix it!! I had to look it up on my phone and sequence the button pushes blindly until I got it right. Took a while, but I got it back to normal mode.

Comment

Since we are adding some "FYI" to this post, I have the totalscan xducer and the berleypro cover (hangs below the yak) I popped the cover off, WOW there was so much sand/gunk/jigheads/misc down in there, it was in serious need of good cleaning. Always good to check your gear, getting her squared away before May 16th!

If you want to pedal around Pasadena let me know, i'm local!
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
                            When I got my new Hobie Compass this year, I ordered a new Lowrance Hook5 and had the kind folks at Delaware Paddlesports install it for me. I figure they know exactly what they're doing as far as all that goes.

I'm having a few issues with it, and I'm hoping someone on SL that's had some experience with Lowrance units could help me. My previous kayak had a Humminbird, so I'm brand new to these.

Here are the problems:

1. Water temperature. I took the kayak out 3 weeks ago in the Magothy. The water temp was reading 77-78 degrees. I know that's at least 20+ degrees off.

I found a water temp calibration on the unit, but it only goes as far as +/- 9 degrees. So even if I put it at its most extreme setting, it still wouldn't be correct.

2. Trip. I had been pedaling for 2-3 hours, and looked at the trip and it said I'd been out for 5 minutes and gone like .25 miles. Now, the trails on the GPS plotter looked perfect - I could see where I'd traveled along the entire river. I figured maybe I'd reset something by accident, so I reset the trip again at that point. I then paddled for another few hours, and when I looked at the trip, the same issue arose - like 10 minutes and .4 miles.

I took my kayak out again last week, and this time I made sure all my connections to the Lowrance unit were solid. I read a bit online, and saw that bad connections could cause some of these problems. Still, even with good connections, the water temp still read 77-78 degrees, which was still 10-20 degrees off. The trip was still all screwy, telling me I'd been out for just a few minutes instead of a few hours, and gone less than a mile instead of 4-5.

It would be a huge pain in the butt to drag this thing back to DPS for them to check all the connections, the transponder, etc. so I wanted to get some input form the SnaggedLine community. Has anybody ever had issues like the ones I describe here?
                            Hi. Brand new member on this site.
                            Got my Lowrance Hook5 set up a few weeks ago.
                            I experienced your issue with water temp.
                            As others have said, it's because I'm shooting thru hull. I'm not sure that it's measuring air temp in the hull, but if it's measuring downward, the electricians duct putty and the poly hull have a good deal of mass. It's going to take a pretty good time for 60 degree water to cool that mass down when it's been on the roof of a car in the sun at 80 degrees. Takes me about an hour and a half in the water for temp to stabilize.

I have an issue of my own that I'd appreciate comments on.
                            If you look at the owner's manual, and go to the Downscan section, you'll see glorious sepia-toned images that almost look like photographs. I've poked around the web and found other images as well. Great images where you can see individual branches of submerged trees, a lobster pot, etc.
                            On MY machine, the images that I am getting from downscan are nothing like that. Basically, take the CHIRP sonar, take the bottom profile, turn it sepia, make the water black...and that's what I've got. it offers not a bit of actual difference from the sonar bottom except that it's black. I have turned off AUTO, played with the contrast and the range, etc...but nothing helps.
                            Anyone have advice? Is my image being degraded by shooting thru the hull or is the owner's manual being way overly optimistic and downscan just stinks?

I'm on another forum where one of the experienced guys swears that Lowrance is producing the best downscan images by far. I'm scratching my head.
                            Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

My hook 5 down scam is pretty bland too. Best pictures I was getting was the boat ramp at the navy yard on the Severn. I’ve just written it off as there just isn’t anything that interesting down there most times.
                              I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X